LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

One side of dual air control not working :( blend stepper motor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 11:50 PM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy One side of dual air control not working :( blend stepper motor??

Hi,
I have a 2008 LR2 with a bit of an issue, and in search of help. My drivers side (LH) dual air control has stopped working, just blowing cold air. The right side works fine, but doesn't seem to be getting as hot or cold as it used to. I tried resetting the HVAC by holding down the auto and circulation button while turning on the ignition. After I did this the left side would spit out some warm, but not hot, air and then kick off. It repeated this several times. I heard a very faint buzz noise when the cool air would switch back. Ive been doing a little research and came across that it may be one of my stepper motors. Does this sound likely? Im considering a heater core flush, but would that be the main issue if one side is still functioning? Also about a week ago, I noticed a different sound from under the hood. It almost sounded like something was working harder than it normally does with a humming sort of noise. I am no where near an qualified mechanic, but I hope with some help from you guys and my mechanically talented father, I can fix this issue on my own. please help with your wisdom or advice if you can! thankfully ive been blessed not to have this challenge a week ago, when it was 2 degrees outside!
thanks,
kayley

Old 03-16-2022, 01:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 522 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by KaysRover
Hi,
I have a 2008 LR2 with a bit of an issue, and in search of help. My drivers side (LH) dual air control has stopped working, just blowing cold air. The right side works fine, but doesn't seem to be getting as hot or cold as it used to. I tried resetting the HVAC by holding down the auto and circulation button while turning on the ignition. After I did this the left side would spit out some warm, but not hot, air and then kick off. It repeated this several times. I heard a very faint buzz noise when the cool air would switch back. Ive been doing a little research and came across that it may be one of my stepper motors. Does this sound likely? Im considering a heater core flush, but would that be the main issue if one side is still functioning? Also about a week ago, I noticed a different sound from under the hood. It almost sounded like something was working harder than it normally does with a humming sort of noise. I am no where near an qualified mechanic, but I hope with some help from you guys and my mechanically talented father, I can fix this issue on my own. please help with your wisdom or advice if you can! thankfully ive been blessed not to have this challenge a week ago, when it was 2 degrees outside!
thanks,
kayley
How long ago did you last change your cabin air filters?

Old 03-16-2022, 03:26 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Also, the equivalent to the North American LR2 is the FL2 or Freelander 2, defo check you cabin filter as suggested above.
Also, here is a search on freel2.com regarding your enquiry:

https://www.freel2.com/forum/search....&search_time=0

There is a lot of FL2s in Europe so the site is a great resource of info even with variations of search function. There are various engine types for the European FL2 so consider that when searching for info.

The following users liked this post:
KaysRover (03-18-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 03:34 PM
Pro Wrench

It would be much better if the issue were a cabin air filter that needs to be changed because it is clogged. The temperature blend stepper motors are a royal pain to replace, as they are an integral part of the heater core. We're talking grief of the magnitude you don't see except when trying to R&R the blower motor or chewing gnawing your own leg off to escape a Vogon poetry club soirée.

Last edited by flybd5; 03-16-2022 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flybd5:
KaysRover (03-18-2022), ThorInc (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 05:33 PM
Pro Wrench

And now that I think of it, have you had the car scanned with a scanner that understands Land Rover modules? The modules for the heater core I believe can tell you if one or more of the stepper motors is not working. correctly. There is a hall effect sensor in each stepper motors that tells the system if the motor is moving in response to the signal being sent commanding it to do so.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:47 PM
Winching
Received 264 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
How long ago did you last change your cabin air filters?
Did you mean "filters" plural?

I've only ever changed the one under the glove box... is there another?

Old 03-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Did you mean "filters" plural? I've only ever changed the one under the glove box... is there another?
My bad, I meant the single cabin air filter. The one that makes you swear loudly if you don't know how to extract it correctly.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:06 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

So, to follow up, the filter change first as recommended above. It's, as also mentioned above, possible to reset/recalibrate the HVAC system with LR proprietary software, JLR SDD. Now the software is available at dealers, some independents and if you are frugal and don't mind messing with programming modules & software (also, the rare possibility of 'bricking' a module hence the vehicle), you can find info on this site and elsewhere on JLR SDD + mongoose search. If the stepper motor is FUBAR, well then, that sucks.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ThorInc
If the stepper motor is FUBAR, well then, that sucks.
You can always turn to Marine Corps Maintenance rule #3. When in doubt, use a bigger hammer. If I were faced with this situation and I *know* it's the stepper motor, I would drill a small hole and spray some silicone lubricant in there, then let it sit for a few hours and try it. Nothing to lose by that point.

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (03-17-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 11:05 AM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

flydb5 and ThorInc thank you so much for replying. I have not checked or changed the cabin filters in 1.5 years Ive owned it. I would really love for that to be my issue . Oddly enough my heater started to work yesterday! But after tinkering with it today, I have found that now I have no cold air......and very hot air with no change on the temp as I used the dial. And also a giant screw in my tire. It was definitely a full moon kind of day with the LR2 feeling it too. Thanks guys for your input, Im on my way to the tire and auto shop now.

The following 2 users liked this post by KaysRover:
flybd5 (03-18-2022), ThorInc (03-18-2022)

Quick Reply: One side of dual air control not working :( blend stepper motor??