LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

p0087 and p0088

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 PM
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default p0087 and p0088

Was on a road trip with our 08' lr2 and we started to experience a bit of a chugging and misfire feeling. The engine light came on and we stopped the vehicle and had it towed to the nearest dealership. We have been driving for a little over 2 hours and it was warm out that day. The fuel tank was getting pretty low, in fact our light was on......so i was suspecting the fuel pump was getting warm and acting up. I was able to go home and use my code reader at the dealership and i got the p0087 and 88 codes which is a low and high reading on the fuel rail. So again still thinking possibly fuel pump. I also had the dealer hook up to their computer and same thing as well. it read 35psi and then 65psi on their computer which was my high and low reading. The dealership (not land rover) said it was fuel pump and i would have to agree just by the situation and all but i found and read other threads on other forums of similar problems, one in particular very close to mine and a new fuel pump did not fix the problem. I hear a crank sensor might be the cause??? But not sure how a crank sensor would throw fuel errors or a fuel cap that wasn't venting and even one person saying to change spark plugs. If anyone has had similar issues or heard similar stories pls help!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 307 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issues

M1rc,

I've never had the codes that you are getting, however I do have some information that might be helpful.

1. the fuel rail has a pressure sending unit that measures the pressure

2. the fuel pump adjust its speed to get the fuel pressure in the correct range

3. the fuel pressure on my car will increase when I stop the engine (this is likely due to the fuel going from a liquid to a gas)

With these three things in mind and looking at the problem that you are having it is not clear if you actually have a fuel pressure problem or if the sending unit is broken (reading the data with a computer does not solve this issue, you have to actually measure the pressure with an independent gauge, the computer just tells you what the sending unit is doing, it doesn't tell you if it is correct)

Also reading thru you post you indicated that the fuel level in the tank was very low and it was very hot. These two factors could have resulted in the fuel pump sucking in air or the fuel going from a liquid to a gas and increasing pressure as measured by the sensor.

Note: if the fuel is vapor instead of liquid it will still be injected into the manifold but it won't be the correct amount of fuel.

My recommendation: fill up the tank and see if the problem ever comes back

Don't let the tank get below 1/4 full

at least that is what I would do if this happened to me

Good Luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
flyingscot (07-05-2022)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 PM
6th Gear

Hey Paul, thanks for the help and the reply! And yeah I agree 100%. I was told to change the pump and we refused. I seen another post on a different forum where a guy had similar problems as us......he changed his pump and the problem still persisted with him. So I figured not to bother changing it and just drive it as is. So we picked it up, filled it with premium, dumped a bit of injector cleaner in it and it's been working fine ever since. I know running tanks that low is never a good idea, especially on wArm days....but unfortunately we did and this happened. So for sure, from now on its getting filled between half and a quarter all the time now! We shall see if it happens a second time!

Thanks again!

The following 2 users liked this post by m1rc:
Bullneck (02-24-2021), flyingscot (07-05-2022)
Old 05-19-2016, 01:02 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by m1rc
Was on a road trip with our 08' lr2 and we started to experience a bit of a chugging and misfire feeling. The engine light came on and we stopped the vehicle and had it towed to the nearest dealership. We have been driving for a little over 2 hours and it was warm out that day. The fuel tank was getting pretty low, in fact our light was on......
You said it was warm out that day. Are we talking warm (80's F) or hot (90+ F)?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 AM
6th Gear

80's.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LR2driver
You said it was warm out that day. Are we talking warm (80's F) or hot (90+ F)?
We have been driving it regularly ever since, but now fill when we're under half and a quarter and haven't had another issue yet.

The following 3 users liked this post by m1rc:
flyingscot (07-05-2022), LR2driver (05-19-2016), Mark Bennett (05-20-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:26 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted a separate thread on my issue but haven't gotten a response, so wanted to see if any of you could help here:

My wife went on a road trip and got the restricted performance warning, said the electronics started acting up and doing weird displays (I could not reproduce this). Checked the codes when she got back and got he P0087 low fuel rail pressure code. Tested the fuel pressure on the rail with a guage and it was reading 60-70 psi and pressure was holding pretty good after shutting off the engine. When the engine starts cold it takes some cranking to get started and will surge, but when it warms up will idle good. Tried installing a new pressure sensor LR044707, didn't work. Tried cleaning the injectors and MAP sensors to no avail. Bought another tester so I could get live data and discovered that the gauge pressure on the rail was reading higher than the absolute fuel rail pressure being sent to the OBD monitor by at least 10 psi and was about 15 psi higher when engine was not running. So I tried installing another LR012280 fuel sensor with pigtail permanently attached. Still the OBD monitor is reading lower by 10-15 psi what is showing on the pressure gauge attached to the rail. I believe that the proper pressure is about 65 psi, which is what is showing on the gauge. Can anyone help me here? I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Below is some of the freeze frame data for the P0087 code on the last run:

Abslt TPS(%) 16.5
Eng Speed 1159
Baro Press 29.2
Calc Load 21.6%
MAF lb/m 1.24
MAP HG 8.0
IGN ADV 45 degrees
ST FTRM2 13.3%
LT FTRm1 -2.3%
LT FTRM2 -3.9%
ST SEC FT1 0%
ST SEC FT2 0%
LT SEC FT1 -0.8%
ABS Load 16.5%
Fuel SYS 1 CLSD
Fuel SYS 2 CLSD
REL TPS 4.7%
THROT CMD 24.3%
ABS TPS B 33.3%
ACC POS D 18.0%
ACC POS E 18.0%
EVAP PURGE 0.0%
CMD EQ RAT 0.994
VPWR 14.668

Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my car has a serious problem like your car.

Originally Posted by m1rc
Hey Paul, thanks for the help and the reply! And yeah I agree 100%. I was told to change the pump and we refused. I seen another post on a different forum where a guy had similar problems as us......he changed his pump and the problem still persisted with him. So I figured not to bother changing it and just drive it as is. So we picked it up, filled it with premium, dumped a bit of injector cleaner in it and it's been working fine ever since. I know running tanks that low is never a good idea, especially on wArm days....but unfortunately we did and this happened. So for sure, from now on its getting filled between half and a quarter all the time now! We shall see if it happens a second time!

Thanks again!
Hi. your review is very useful for me. Thank you.
My car has the same problem and i have the same kind of car(LR2 2008).
Did you fix your car entirely?
Could you tell me how to fix your Car?
I am wondering and have no idea about the problem.
Thank you very much.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyAllenMX
I posted a separate thread on my issue but haven't gotten a response, so wanted to see if any of you could help here:

My wife went on a road trip and got the restricted performance warning, said the electronics started acting up and doing weird displays (I could not reproduce this). Checked the codes when she got back and got he P0087 low fuel rail pressure code. Tested the fuel pressure on the rail with a guage and it was reading 60-70 psi and pressure was holding pretty good after shutting off the engine. When the engine starts cold it takes some cranking to get started and will surge, but when it warms up will idle good. Tried installing a new pressure sensor LR044707, didn't work. Tried cleaning the injectors and MAP sensors to no avail. Bought another tester so I could get live data and discovered that the gauge pressure on the rail was reading higher than the absolute fuel rail pressure being sent to the OBD monitor by at least 10 psi and was about 15 psi higher when engine was not running. So I tried installing another LR012280 fuel sensor with pigtail permanently attached. Still the OBD monitor is reading lower by 10-15 psi what is showing on the pressure gauge attached to the rail. I believe that the proper pressure is about 65 psi, which is what is showing on the gauge. Can anyone help me here? I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Below is some of the freeze frame data for the P0087 code on the last run:

Abslt TPS(%) 16.5
Eng Speed 1159
Baro Press 29.2
Calc Load 21.6%
MAF lb/m 1.24
MAP HG 8.0
IGN ADV 45 degrees
ST FTRM2 13.3%
LT FTRm1 -2.3%
LT FTRM2 -3.9%
ST SEC FT1 0%
ST SEC FT2 0%
LT SEC FT1 -0.8%
ABS Load 16.5%
Fuel SYS 1 CLSD
Fuel SYS 2 CLSD
REL TPS 4.7%
THROT CMD 24.3%
ABS TPS B 33.3%
ACC POS D 18.0%
ACC POS E 18.0%
EVAP PURGE 0.0%
CMD EQ RAT 0.994
VPWR 14.668
Just to follow up on this, had to replace the engine driven fuel pumps to solve this problem.

The following users liked this post:
flyingscot (07-05-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:47 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyAllenMX
Just to follow up on this, had to replace the engine driven fuel pumps to solve this problem.
Is this for an LR2? I can't find the part number for an 'engine driven fuel pump'.

I have a similar problem with too high/too low fuel pressure codes. The car then dies for a couple min before I can restart it. I've replaced the fuel pressure sensor twice, taken off the fuel rail and cleaned the injectors, replaced coils, spark plugs, upstream o2 sensors (twice). Has only died recently highway driving up very large hills, otherwise there is a slight chugging up city hills.

The only thing I can think of left to replace is the fuel pump, but I only see one inside the tank.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: p0087 and p0088