LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Please Help P0171 Code ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help P0171 Code ONLY

I just bought my 2008 LR2 and the check engine light came on last night. I had the code read, and the only code it pulled was P0171. I've been reading up on the topic, but I haven't found anyone that said they have received just that one specific code.

My car has 52000 miles on it, so I am unsure if it could be one of the 02 sensors and I also don't know where they are located to check. My car runs fine, there are no issues with start up, accelerating, or idling. I don't know about gas mileage because I literally bought this car 2 weeks ago. Is there a common reason why this one code goes off and if so could someone point me in the right direction as to where to check? Also, is this a very pressing issue? Will it damage my car if I keep driving it before it is fixed?

Thank you so much!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Overlanding
Default I have the same problem

I just get the one code. I've had my LR3 for about a year now. I'm due for a smog and registration but the dang engine light is on. Everything i've read points towards replacing the MAF sensor, which I did. I cleared the code and the engine light came back on.
Have you had any luck yet?

Thanks;

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

I had the P0174 code, which is similar to P0171. See my post here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...19/#post382901

Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bravhefen
I just get the one code. I've had my LR3 for about a year now. I'm due for a smog and registration but the dang engine light is on. Everything i've read points towards replacing the MAF sensor, which I did. I cleared the code and the engine light came back on.
Have you had any luck yet?

Thanks;
When you replaced your MAF sensor, did you replace it with a genuine OEM Land Rover MAF sensor, or with an aftermarket MAF sensor? By any chance, did you keep the old one and notice if it was actually dirty or damaged?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Overlanding

I did replace it with an original OEM part. I purchased it through British Atlantic. Before I bought it, I tried cleaning the old one with an MAF cleaner. That didn't change anything, so I bought and installed the new one.
My next trouble shoot is a vacuum leak, right? If that's the problem, how much I expect to pay to fix it? Can it fix it or is do I have to take it to the steelership. They'll charge me a minimum of $800 even if it's just to change a $20 hose. btw, my vehicle is an 06 LR3 and has just eclipsed 100k miles, but is running beautifully.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Winching

I'm attaching a link with some good information about your code:
OBD II Code P0171 and P0174

Cleaning the MAF Sensor would have been the simplest and least expensive solution if that were actually the problem, so that's why you want to check that first.

If you have been bringing your car into the LR dealer for routine service, then your software patches should be up to date. Unfortunately, I think the LR dealer is the only one who can apply these software updates, so you can't go elsewhere.

For vacuum leaks, almost any auto shop should be able to diagnose that. If they can't hear a hissing sound, they use a smoke machine to pump smoke into your system and see if it is coming out from anywhere. You can call around and ask what your local auto repair shops charge for a smoke test. Include your LR dealer for cost comparison.

I'm not sure you can do much more on a DIY basis. Please let us know how this works out.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Overlanding

Told by a mechanic today that I need to replace my intake manifold gaskets. He quoted me $300 labor plus parts.
Is that reasonable? This is not the dealership. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions so far.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Winching

Bad intake manifold gaskets would have similar symptoms as a vacuum leak, so that's a reasonable explanation for your code.

The cost for your gasket job depends on the part of the country you live in. Just call around a couple other local places, including the dealership, for phone quotes to make a price comparison.

As you have 100K miles on your vehicle, anything could fail due to age and use. These repairs and maintenance are still usually less expensive than payments on a new vehicle.