LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

sheldon

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022 | 09:55 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR2driver
That's a slick-looking gauge. I assume that it uses a cable to connect to the OBD2 port since I didn't see any mention of Bluetooth. How did you route the cable to your dash so it doesn't look unsightly?
I mount it on the dash to the right of the driver (there's an obvious spot). Cable runs down, then over the top of the steering column then down to the OBDII port. Mostly out of the way, but like I said I only use it for road trips. If I wanted a perm install I'd probably look for a wireless option.

Old 01-01-2022 | 09:57 AM
Pro Wrench

The iPod mounting option mounts cleanly through the bottom left of the dash. Could be mounted the same way.

Old 01-02-2022 | 07:50 AM
guy
Winching

This is precisely the question I ask myself. Though the ratings imply the towing capacity is capable of this load… I have doubts as I have towed that airstream through hilly roads of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine…. And that diesel in the F250 was working hard. (not to mention the fuel consumption). And the brakes as well.

Never mind the engine for a moment; Is our platform and brakes really capable of the job? I’m not sure.

Old 01-02-2022 | 10:04 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by guy
Never mind the engine for a moment; Is our platform and brakes really capable of the job? I’m not sure.
I've done it numerous times in the sierras, and in summer heat (well over 100*F). I use NAPA premium rotors (raybestos) and akebono ceramic pads. The suspension and handling is great when towing. Again you need trailer brakes and correctly configured BC for any heavy tow. I wouldn't do more than 1500lbs without brakes (legal limit in some states anyway).

The engine obviously works harder, but mine just passed a compression check at 155K. The tranny is the other thing to worry about... control coolant temps or install an aftermarket tranny cooler. I'm actually going to install the OEM heavy duty double cooling fan... apparently it keeps the coolant rock-solid at 90*C which also should also keep the tranny fluid cooler....

https://www.landrovermerriamparts.co...gaAqgREALw_wcB

Also, there is a bolt-on heavy-duty OEM tranny cooler available, probably cheaper than the fan...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37...?highlight=fan

I'm going to try the duel fan, since it seems the entire cooling system would benefit from more airflow while towing slowly up a hill.

The only problem I had was some coolant leaks after towing in the mountains at 110*F last summer... car had 150K on it. I was planning to replace radiator, pump, big hoses, thermostat, tranny and oil coolers myself, but didn't get around to it so I had to pay a shop at my destination. But that was predictable... on any car cooling parts start to go around 150K, so if you need reliability you should replace them per-emptively.

Last edited by merlinj79; 01-02-2022 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
guy (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022 | 10:32 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by guy
This is precisely the question I ask myself. Though the ratings imply the towing capacity is capable of this load… I have doubts as I have towed that airstream through hilly roads of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine…. And that diesel in the F250 was working hard. (not to mention the fuel consumption). And the brakes as well.

You don't always need electrical brakes. My glider trailer has hydraulic brakes, with a cable for emergency braking and a mechanical/hydraulic thingamagig in the trailer coupler that matches what happens with the car.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022 | 04:50 PM
guy
Winching

Thanks guys! I’ll start researching the build out for this.

Old 01-02-2022 | 05:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by flybd5
You don't always need electrical brakes. My glider trailer has hydraulic brakes, with a cable for emergency braking and a mechanical/hydraulic thingamagig in the trailer coupler that matches what happens with the car.
Yeah, my bass boat trailer uses a surge(?) braking system activated through the coupler under tow vehicle braking. I don't generally tow campers however.