LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Steering Column Locked Appears On Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:33 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Steering Column Locked Appears On Dashboard

I was hoping to get some help with a problem in having with a used 2008 LR2 I purchased earlier on this year. I'm currently seeing the dreaded "Steering Column Locked" error being displayed on the dashboard. As a result, the vehicle does not start.

I've tried leaving the battery disconnected (both terminals), for 8 hrs, but upon connecting it back on the issue was still present.

It doesn't appear that the steering column is actually locked as I can put the key fob in and then hold the start button for 2 seconds (without applying the brakes) and then while holding the brakes I can move the transmission into neutral. Once in neutral, with a bit of effort, I can move the steering wheel.

I eventually had it towed to a LR dealership and what they came back with appears to be a "throw money at the problem" solution.

This is path they wanted me to take for around $2,400, which I declined.
***Using SDD, observed fault code B10A2 stored in the BCM. Using SDD, re-configured BCM as necessary and reset crash status. Attempted to start vehicle, observed same message displayed. Recommended BCM replacement.***

Since this was a used purchase, my guess is that it's possible that at some point, the previous owner/s might have had a slight bump/crash and never reported it and this code just so happens to have been there. I could be way off as I just don't know.

If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations or a way to bypass this I'd greatly appreciate it. I've since towed the vehicle back to my house where it sits on the sidewalk unusable.

Thanks.

Last edited by zaidj109; 12-13-2021 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Editing Title
Old 12-13-2021, 08:11 AM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Check out this very useful freel2.com forum.
Here is a search on their forum re your topic:
https://www.freel2.com/forum/search....&search_time=0

Old 12-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 522 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by zaidj109
I was hoping to get some help with a problem in having with a used 2008 LR2 I purchased earlier on this year. I'm currently seeing the dreaded "Steering Column Locked" error being displayed on the dashboard. As a result, the vehicle does not start.

I've tried leaving the battery disconnected (both terminals), for 8 hrs, but upon connecting it back on the issue was still present.

It doesn't appear that the steering column is actually locked as I can put the key fob in and then hold the start button for 2 seconds (without applying the brakes) and then while holding the brakes I can move the transmission into neutral. Once in neutral, with a bit of effort, I can move the steering wheel.

I eventually had it towed to a LR dealership and what they came back with appears to be a "throw money at the problem" solution.

This is path they wanted me to take for around $2,400, which I declined.
***Using SDD, observed fault code B10A2 stored in the BCM. Using SDD, re-configured BCM as necessary and reset crash status. Attempted to start vehicle, observed same message displayed. Recommended BCM replacement.***

Since this was a used purchase, my guess is that it's possible that at some point, the previous owner/s might have had a slight bump/crash and never reported it and this code just so happens to have been there. I could be way off as I just don't know.

If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations or a way to bypass this I'd greatly appreciate it. I've since towed the vehicle back to my house where it sits on the sidewalk unusable.

Thanks.
The steering lock mechanism has been known to get stuck and not operate smoothly if it gets dirty inside, or if someone spilled some liquid like coffee or soda on the steering wheel and it got into the module. This may be the case in your situation because if it were truly locked you would not be able to move the steering wheel at all. Fixing this requires removing the steering wheel column, removing the module, opening it up. thoroughly cleaning it with some non-flammable solvent, then lubricating it and reversing the process to put it back together. Changing the BCM will not fix this, but cleaning it will likely be cheaper as it is only labor (though not an insignificant amount of it).

You might want to take it somewhere other than the dealership for this since it appears you have no warranty on the vehicle.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:08 PM
5th Gear
Lightbulb

ThorInc, Thanks for the link. I went through a bit of the links and a saw various things I could try and did, but nothing worked. That is until I saw a few articles mention the hammer trick. After a few hits, the steering lock was released and the car was able to be turned on.

Just adding what I did, in case this helps someone else.

I basically exposed the steering lock module, then held the hammer parallel to the module and struck the piece that I've circled on the image. After a few hits, I heard the locking mechanism release and immediately knew the car would turn on and it did.

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:11 PM
Pro Wrench

I basically exposed the steering lock module, then held the hammer parallel to the module and struck the piece that I've circled on the image. After a few hits, I heard the locking mechanism release and immediately knew the car would turn on and it did.
Marine Corps Maintenance! Booyah!

Sage1 (05-15-2023)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:12 PM
5th Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flybd5
The steering lock mechanism has been known to get stuck and not operate smoothly if it gets dirty inside, or if someone spilled some liquid like coffee or soda on the steering wheel and it got into the module. This may be the case in your situation because if it were truly locked you would not be able to move the steering wheel at all. Fixing this requires removing the steering wheel column, removing the module, opening it up. thoroughly cleaning it with some non-flammable solvent, then lubricating it and reversing the process to put it back together. Changing the BCM will not fix this, but cleaning it will likely be cheaper as it is only labor (though not an insignificant amount of it).

You might want to take it somewhere other than the dealership for this since it appears you have no warranty on the vehicle.
I appreciate your feedback. It shows how wrong the dealership was with their diagnosis as taking a hammer to it resolved the issue and I clearly could hear the module disengaging. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:17 PM
Pro Wrench

I appreciate your feedback. It shows how wrong the dealership was with their diagnosis as taking a hammer to it resolved the issue and I clearly could hear the module disengaging. Thanks again for your help.
Ok, so you got it loose, but whatever made it stick may still be there. You might still want to try to clean it, or at least shoot some lubricant in there (NOT ORIGINAL WD-40! NOT A LUBRICANT!).

Old 12-13-2021, 06:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by flybd5
Ok, so you got it loose, but whatever made it stick may still be there. You might still want to try to clean it, or at least shoot some lubricant in there (NOT ORIGINAL WD-40! NOT A LUBRICANT!).
Definitely a small victory as I know this issue isn't truly resolved. The module is connected to the steering column with some security screws and the module is fully enclosed. I'll have to see how to go about and remove it without destroying things. I read a few articles that said the entire steering column has to be replaced because of this. I guess we shall see.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench

Definitely a small victory as I know this issue isn't truly resolved. The module is connected to the steering column with some security screws and the module is fully enclosed. I'll have to see how to go about and remove it without destroying things. I read a few articles that said the entire steering column has to be replaced because of this. I guess we shall see.
The tamper-proof M6 bolts will be a b*tch to take out but when you do the module slides right out. The service manual says to use a stud puller. If you remove the steering column the job is much easier. This thread tells you what to do to lubricate it with, of all things, vaseline.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/post402011.html

zaidj109 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Removing the steering column is a complicated task. I would try getting to the lock module from underneath.

Last edited by flybd5; 12-13-2021 at 09:50 PM.
zaidj109 (12-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Steering Column Locked Appears On Dashboard