LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that info.

Ours is now two years old (26,000kms) and this fault showed up yesterday. Sad really, as this is our third Freelander, (1.8 Petrol manual, TD4 auto, Freelander 2 TD4) and apart from a steering rack issue on the petrol model (ex dealer demonstrator), we haven't had any issues at all, even though in this neck of the woods, the local motoring message boards never have a good thing to say about the K series engine, nor anything that comes out of GB.

I presume that it is not a safety issue but needs to be done anyway.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

The same transmission fault indication has popped up two days ago on our 2 year old TD4. Thanks for the post. I can now go to the dealer forearmed! Had a "no start" situation about a week ago, but after removing the key and waiting about a minute it cleared.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

I am currently working on my 2002 freelander. just put a new transmission in and drove it for awhile and now it doesnt start and says f4 on the dash. i have a T4 program from land rover and i checked the codes and it threw 8 for solenoids and others. I bought a new tcm for it and it didnt do anything after programming. So i replaced the shifter assembly due to alot of play. well i went in and checked the code for the instrument clust control module and i had a unidentified code automatic gearbox emergency program. it wont clear and i cant find any information on it. not on Land Rover topix or anywere. Land rover techs cant even figure it out. I checked all my grounds and fuses and relays. New Transmission is good. Any help thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 AM
1st Gear

Hi guys i just got a used LR2 2008 HSE, and my monitor says it has transmission fault system, traction reduced and Terrain system Fault. Its running fine but i just found out that my rear wheels dosent seem to spin. It acts as an FWD instead of 4WD ! What might be the problem ? Please help me out ? And do you guys have any idea how much it might cost to fix it ?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 PM
1st Gear
Default rear diff problems

hey guys I have a 2008 LM SC and had the same problems with the christmas tree dash for a long time. comes to find out that the rear differential locking motor went bad. but ti figure out the actual problem i had to have the rear differential module replaced. comes to find out that there was an update for the rear differential module sent out in February of 2009. So if you ever run into this problem before they make you replace the rear differential module have them reprogram it with the current update and that should fix the problem. here is a link to the forum where I found the information i was looking for. also I will post the link to the thread that helped me figure out that the rear diff locking motor was bad. hope this help because it took me almost a year to figure this out.

New sof****e update for rear diff.

Replace rear diff lock motor

Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear

It's probably the rear diff. I would take it to the dealership.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default Trans fault trac reduced. Did the pressure sensor replacement take care of the issue?

Originally Posted by Cooper3
Okay, just as an update and for any people who may be faced with the same problem...

I just spoke with the service tech and he informed me that there IS a problem with the vehicle (no kidding). The problem, which won't be a surprise to those here, is with a pressure sensor for the rear differential.

That is almost done getting fixed and I will pick it up tonight. Hopefully this will finally fix the problem! Thanks again to those that helped me out!
did the sensor correct the issue?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

Did replacing the sensor take care of the issue?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:45 AM
2nd Gear

I have also just bought a freelander 2 2012, with the same problem,is it safe to drive?

Old 10-28-2021, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

Hi all,

I thought I would share that I am having the same issue on my 2007 Range Rover Supercharged. It started showing the message "transmission fault traction reduced" when I would start it up. Had it at the Land Rover service center and they diagnosed the issue as the rear differential locking motor, which should solve the issue. In total, parts and labor it is going to cost $1,035.

I can report back on how this holds up.

Jacob

Quick Reply: Transmission Fault Traction Reduced