LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Wheels 'locked up'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 07:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels 'locked up'?

2011 LR2, 133,000 miles
Started with my Front R coil spring broken on top and was rattling, shop removed the piece and was essentially OK. I ordered all four struts with springs (SF Racing-Chinese ) and used my motorcycle for transportation. I had to take my dog to the vet in the LR, was OK getting there, on the way home it developed a rubbing/grinding noise on the front L when the suspension was stressed (small bumps, turning hard L or R). There was no noise or vibration while driving straight or gentle turns. Vehicle was parked for several days until I could look underneath and when I tried to move it, it wouldn't budge. No wheels would move. I left it running and put it in N, connected my tractor to the trailer hitch and was able to move it slightly - only about two feet and I stopped. I really just wanted to see if it could be winched on to a flatbed.
I'm just looking for any rough guesses as to whether this is likely a terminal condition.
I don't see any thing broken in the suspension / linkage system. Axel splines??

Old 05-11-2023, 12:17 PM
Winching
Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

Do you mean you cannot move the wheels by hand? Or that the car won't drive?

With the car jacked up...

The rear wheels should rotate freely by hand with the engine off and parking brake off... the AOC will not be engaged unless it is powered and gets a command from the traction control which won't happen at idle. No way should the rears be stuck unless the rear diff has jammed up. In that case the fronts should not be affected at with the car off.

The fronts should rotate freely by hand in neutral. If not, something is jammed or binding... wheel bearing, CV, or maybe the front PTU. With the engine on (idle) and the car in drive, the fronts should turn on their own. If not then maybe the tranny output splines, that's a known failure point.

I'd look at the suspension again, since that's what you worked on last.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:08 AM
Overlanding

Unfortunately I wasn't able to the vehicle lifted yet. When I moved it with the tractor, the left rear wheel skidded in the gravel, the front wheels seemed to rotate but with a little grinding/rubbing noise as if the brakes were rubbing. The parking brake is off, however it is 'soft' meaning it is like a brake pedal that goes to the floor (that just occurred to me). Could it be a cable that applied the brake and locked up? It did not drive like there was a brake applied, and when I parked it I did not apply it. I will be lifting the vehicle late today or tomorrow.
Thank you for the reply.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:55 AM
Winching

Does 2011 have electric or mechanical parking brake? Either way, yes it sounds like it's stuck on. If it's mechanical, if the handle moves up and down with no resistance on the way up then something is stuck. Although if just one side is stuck, you might get some resistance from the other one.

Again there's no way that the rear diff and wheels should be engaged to the driveline with the engine off. I'd turn the ignition off too, just to be sure, but again that AOC should not actually engage unless you're accelerating hard or driving on a slippery surface.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Does 2011 have electric or mechanical parking brake? Either way, yes it sounds like it's stuck on. If it's mechanical, if the handle moves up and down with no resistance on the way up then something is stuck. Although if just one side is stuck, you might get some resistance from the other one.

Again there's no way that the rear diff and wheels should be engaged to the driveline with the engine off. I'd turn the ignition off too, just to be sure, but again that AOC should not actually engage unless you're accelerating hard or driving on a slippery surface.
2011 is mechanical. Sounds like the cables seized and broke with the brakes applied. Removing the rear wheels and brake drum will let you unseize them if that's the case.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:17 PM
Overlanding

Thank you all. I will be lifting the vehicle to get all four of the ground. Hopefully it won't be raining to hard tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dregill
Thank you all. I will be lifting the vehicle to get all four of the ground. Hopefully it won't be raining to hard tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Take note that I am referring to the mechanical parking brake, not the hydraulic brake.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:16 PM
Overlanding

All fours off the ground and the front wheels do turn, the rears move about one or two inches and stop hard. Now I have to get the lug nuts off that were installed by the shop with an impact drive.
https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/Cars/Range-Rover/i-gkTLtc8
flybd5, ye
s, I got the fact of the parking brake.

Last edited by dregill; 05-14-2023 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add text
Old 05-14-2023, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dregill
All fours off the ground and the front wheels do turn, the rears move about one or two inches and stop hard. Now I have to get the lug nuts off that were installed by the shop with an impact drive.
https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize...over/i-gkTLtc8
Still sounds like seized parking brake. Do NOT use WD-40 original formula, use lithium grease spray to try to release the cables if that is the problem.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:52 AM
Winching

First thing I do when I get the car back from any shop which pulled the wheels is loosen the nuts with a breaker bar and then torque them properly. That way I or my wife can change a tire by the side of the road.

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (05-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Wheels 'locked up'?