LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 LR3 HSE Aux module

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 LR3 HSE Aux module

I've read every piece of literature possible on the LR3 HSE Aux situation and have never heard of this. So strange that an HSE wouldn't have an aux input. It appears the proper wiring is behind the plate, but no actual 3.5mm jack. Thoughts? Does anyone know the OEM aux part number?

Ultimately my goal is to integrate an iPhone or bluetooth, but I know that isn't easy with these things...

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I doubt that aux port is blanked from the factory. Looks like perhaps the previous owner may have stuck a plug in it. I've heard of people sticking a dummy plug in the aux port to trick the system into thinking that something is plugged in, but then tapping the wires and adding in another aux port somewhere up front. Do you happen to have an ipod wire or an aux port that ties into the radio up front anywhere? If so, that would explain it.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Overlanding

I've read about the dummy plug... When I pulled it out (very tough, impossible to get leverage), there was just an empty hole. I can see the aux/12v wiring behind it. I'd kill for some sort of aux. No aux up front, but I'm wondering if that I/O switch from my other post is indeed stereo related. Maybe a cable was previously run through the glovebox or something. Looks like more digging through wires for me!

Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by disco-matt
I've read about the dummy plug... When I pulled it out (very tough, impossible to get leverage), there was just an empty hole. I can see the aux/12v wiring behind it. I'd kill for some sort of aux. No aux up front, but I'm wondering if that I/O switch from my other post is indeed stereo related. Maybe a cable was previously run through the glovebox or something. Looks like more digging through wires for me!
Good thought. I highly doubt any one of these was sold without that port, so I presume the PO moved it somewhere else.

Why they even put it there is a mystery to me. Garbage placement.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Overlanding

It really is a bad placement. I want to trust they were onto something, but I can't for the life of me think of a solid reason it's back there. I haven't found where a new one may be hidden yet, but I did invest in a tiny bluetooth to FM transmitter. Now, I'm a bit of audiophile and would love to have a more legitimate form of audio than that, BUT I will say I'm very impressed with the quality and love the wireless connection. It will definitely hold me over until I can wire in something of higher quality. I am not impressed with even the sound from CD player and the distortion from the FM actually seems to beef-up the overall sound a bit. Not ideal, but for $20, not a bad temp fix. Now...off to hunt down the real aux input!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just make your own dude?!?

I saw something where someone just jumped the AUX in at the back of the head unit with an aux female cord, notched out the console on the right side (where the head unit meets the center fascia) just enough for the wire (not the connector) to sit snug in there (1-2mm). Then the female connection tip just sits outside the radio where he can pull some slack out if needed or push it back in.

Also, there's a phenomenal bluetooth receiver that I just got for $25 that integrates all the factory things that I was missing with the HSE Denso unit. It's lovely, if you need the link just let me know

Old 03-25-2017, 03:04 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by zoltan7
Just make your own dude?!?

I saw something where someone just jumped the AUX in at the back of the head unit with an aux female cord, notched out the console on the right side (where the head unit meets the center fascia) just enough for the wire (not the connector) to sit snug in there (1-2mm). Then the female connection tip just sits outside the radio where he can pull some slack out if needed or push it back in.

Also, there's a phenomenal bluetooth receiver that I just got for $25 that integrates all the factory things that I was missing with the HSE Denso unit. It's lovely, if you need the link just let me know
I'll definitely be making my own! I was just so curious about that plug, looks factory yet I hadn't ever seen anyone talk about it. What's that bluetooth receiver you got? A receiver that's wired into the back of the stereo for aux port? If I go digging, I'll almost certainly go wireless. The bluetooth FM transmitter is a decent little patch, but I'd love direct connection. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated! I've seen so many takes on this solution, but everyone seems to come up with workarounds and compromises, no perfect one solution. I'm open to anything and willing to do the work for good sound!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There are scads of inexpensive Bluetooth modules out there for that. Mine plugs into that cigarette lighter (for power) with a short cable that plugs into the AUX port (for sound). It was about $15 on Amazon. My only gripe is that sometimes my phone gets confused when I receive a call -- but for music it works great.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Overlanding

Yes, I have
this this
as a temporary solution. I don't have an aux plug, despite an otherwise fully loaded HSE, that is the problem. I'll run something direct to the rear inputs of the stereo soon.