LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 lr3 whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 lr3 whining noise

Okay...I will do my best to describe this. There is a drivetrain noise coming from the front half of the truck...it is a light roar....low whine type noise that happens when I am lightly accelerating/ holding speed. When I let off of the throttle, it stops and when I accelerate hard, it stops. it is the loudest around 45mph....It does not stop when I swerve so that tells me its not a wheel bearing. It sounds like it is coming from under the center front half of the vehicle. It isn't super loud but I assume it isnt supposed to be doing it....Can anyone help

Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the transfer case..if you can download the factory manual. Better yet, bring it in for inspection.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the conditions? Are you operating the A/C in Auto mode?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Have it looked at. The front diff job alone is $2000 plus at the dealer. The front diff has 0.61 liters of lube in it. That is less than two soda cans... see https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...pinions-55810/ . The transfer case is more expensive....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-12-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it does turn out to be the front diff and you or know a shop who can replace the parts inside instead of a refit, contact "unseenone" on this forum or search for his posts on the subject....

Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jmeyers278
Okay...I will do my best to describe this. There is a drivetrain noise coming from the front half of the truck...it is a light roar....low whine type noise that happens when I am lightly accelerating/ holding speed. When I let off of the throttle, it stops and when I accelerate hard, it stops. it is the loudest around 45mph....It does not stop when I swerve so that tells me its not a wheel bearing. It sounds like it is coming from under the center front half of the vehicle. It isn't super loud but I assume it isnt supposed to be doing it....Can anyone help
I seem to have this exact same symptom. It only happens when accelerating. My noise gets louder under heavier load... Going uphill, for example. I just changed the transfer case fluid (and both diffs) with LR recommended fluids. Didn't see anything in the t-case fluid or anything else standing out. No other noises or problems, and it seems to drive fine, just the noise. Any solutions found on yours yet? I'm planning to get mine on a lift and listen to see if I can find the source.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it waste front hub bearing.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
7th Gear

If you suspect it is the hub, raise the front wheels off the ground and see if you can wiggle the front wheels (side-to-side when you grab the top and bottom of the wheel by hand). There should be no play in the wheels. If there is play, the wheel hub is worn out.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Definitely have it diagnosed to find the problem. I can help with it's a transfer case, transmission or a diff.

I had a hub go out before, it was caused by the nut not being staked, and it worked loose. I subsequently replace both, and kept one for a spare.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM
3rd Gear

Hello, (1 post/rant)
My 3 had a whiny noise when idle. My first thought was idler tensioner, belt, etc. Local mechanic of course fixed it. Same day battery light on?, car dead!!, alternator gone!!! I am too nervous to let the hub fix it? And he NEVER takes his car to the repair "guys". Nevertheless. I needed to vent. And I am not going to the stealership for parts, and want an alternator today. So chainstore is the icing on this crap cake of a holiday week.

Quick Reply: 05 lr3 whining noise