LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 LR3 stalling and dying repeatedly then fine no codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 LR3 stalling and dying repeatedly then fine no codes

Last week it died and stalled a mile from home would start run for 30 sec or less then sputter and die. My wife did that about 30 time and made it home. All this and no check engine light,codes or reduced engine power. Later that day when I returned home it was fine. Took it to a shop that specializes in Land Rover that we deal with for non warranty repairs. He cleaned the throttle body, checked for codes and there were none. Not much he can do for a car that runs fine at the time with no codes. One week later today with me in the car same thing stalling, dying no codes wouldn't run for more then a few secs. Did this for 30 min or so called a tow truck and by the time he got to us 45 min later it was fine and still is. Any ideas would be appreciated. Our LR dealer is going through a ownership change and is not work on car at the moment and will not be able to get to it for a few weeks or more. We have 4000 miles left on the warranty.
Thank You Aaron

Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a link to the last stalling LR3. You should read it

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...driving-52159/

long story short..try a new fuel pump relay first

Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
3rd Gear

Missed that post in my search. Most I kept finding were throttle body or coil capacitor related.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM
3rd Gear

No stalling as of yet but finally got a code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks Mike;

I have notice this very occasionally on my 05 since it was new. It was mostly disconcerting when 25 miles out in Big Bend National Park in mid summer. It seems to always happen when idling, small downgrade, it will just stall and then it starts up again. It rarely happens to me, but happened three four times in Big Bend, I attributed it to long low speed travel in extreme heat 110+. It has never done it that I recall in cooler weather, or on the highway.

I should put together a list of common relays I should carry in my spares box.

I read through that entire thread and found this, on page 9...

Also, there was a software glitch in some of the early 05s that caused a stall, but only in very particular conditions... basically you would need to be descending a hill for over 30 seconds, and then press the brakes, but not come to a stop. It would cut fuel in half when the torque converter unlocked, and then another 50% when the brakes were pressed. But any software update since 06 would have taken care of that issue.

hmmmm, NOT.... sounds like what I described above, but it has never gone away, it happened last week.

That was a whole lot of thread to read to get to a fuel relay... dang man... thanks for posting it here.

Last edited by unseenone; 07-23-2013 at 10:11 PM.