LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v in boot question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 12v in boot question

So I'm wanting to install a panel for usb-12v-volt meter in the boot and was wondering if pulling form the location that is there would be sufficient? Would there be any complications with this?

Also side note: how to replace the light ring around ignition tumbler? (completely off topic but...)

Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Mudding

No input at all? were these stupid questions?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Can you define boot? Is that the rear?

if so, you can use the cig lighter back there, no problem.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Mudding

LOL, yes sorry, the boot is the trunk, like the bonnet is the hood. So I could pull the power form the cig lighter to run another panel then.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by scoutrover13
LOL, yes sorry, the boot is the trunk, like the bonnet is the hood. So I could pull the power form the cig lighter to run another panel then.
What are you planning on powering? Need to make sure that circuit can handle it. Also it will be ignition on power source only.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Mudding

Just odds and ends but i was unaware its ignition on only.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

why do you need to replace light ring, if not working check the fuses etc or a trip to the wreckers

Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen this done on many work rigs though I have yet to do it on the LR3 because I haven't needed to.If you need a significant power source in the rear you can either install a separate battery and run wire underneath the vehicle to charge it through the main, ensuring to disconnect when using it and ignition is off, or you can simply install a plug somewhere in the rear (I've been looking at the access panel for the tail lights) with regular #12 and run wire above the spare tire, mounting the male end probably next to your trailer electrical. That way for anything you have mounted in the truck that needs power, you can simply plug it in to an extension cord to run.

The latter is cheap, easy, and highly useful as long as there is a power source nearby. The former is far more labor intensive and risky.

Last edited by Identamerican; 08-31-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Well there are two openings in the firewall on the driver side (for LHD). You can install a 'cable gland' which will secure a wire up to 2awg. Any bigger *might* require enlarging the hole. Then just run along the rocker. I just ran a large 0awg (1/0) last week. Although I drilled a hole because I have so much stuff ran though already. I myself prefer to never run power cables under a vehicle. They can get damage an in winter they can gather ice and pull down. If you mount them very professionally then you may be okay. But inside, its easy and quick to do. When doing electrical, alway weigh the risks and always fuse as close to the power supply as you can.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Globetrotter448
why do you need to replace light ring, if not working check the fuses etc or a trip to the wreckers
The ignition key ring light is dead, and is giving me a fault on my gap tool. Not a biggie just wondering.

As for the power, I have decided I want to run a ridge and some LED lights so it looks like a dual battery type deal is going to be in the works. I like the idea of running a outlet style plug out of the hitch area for plugging in things when close to power or at home. could this be tied into a panel in the rear? if so how would I do that safely?

Quick Reply: 12v in boot question