LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 sudden weird problems- water related??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:20 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 LR3 sudden weird problems- water related??

Hi. To start off, I’m a girl so I don’t know all the car technical words 
I have a 2005 LR3 V8 loaded minus heated seats/windshield.
I'm the original owner, and I still love my car. I know it inside and out and have babied it to 177,000 miles.
No major problems, a lot of sensors replaced, bushings, roters, etc. I still have original suspension air compressor if you can believe that.

Now… I got my car detailed yesterday and that is where the problems started. I’m suspecting water or moisture related.
I got in the car when they were done, they had left the car in the “on” position for 2.5 hours so battery was dead. They jump started me and I got home.

2 hours later I get in to go and it is stuck in park. Gear shift won’t move. Dash now says a big F and engine light is on, something I’ve never seen before ever.

I have a 18yo son who is mechanically inclined so he is helping me on all this. We check the battery, car starts fine, wont shift. I found youtube video about taking the coin compartment out and reaching in and toggling switch to release gearbox, found it and did it. So now my car is in limp mode and can only drive up to 3rd gear. Oh, and we did go ahead a get a new battery just in case it was low and faulting one of the 33 computers. New battery didn’t do anything.

So we get home, confused. Put it in park, take the key out.. and the windshield wipers go off wildly, front and back. I put the key in, they stop. Take the key out, goes off again. Also the dome lights come on and the radio. So my son showed me how to disconnect the battery because it started again wiping at almost midnight, all by itself. So I disconneted the battery.

Now my car is in my driveway, windows down, bonnet open. It's going to be warm/sunny and 80 today. (So. Calif) I'm letting it dry out.

It all started with the car detail. They rolled it thru the washer that sprays water in all directions. Inside, its wet. Inside the gear box where I opened it to the toggle, its moist. The carpets are soaked. Its drying out now.

I’m crossing my fingers that it will be all better when it dries.

What do you think? 2 problems both at the some time.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

in terms of fixing the issues, yeah let it dry out as much as possible. Then try running fault codes and clearing them

RE: the detailers causing this, you may want to get all this documented NOW by say, an insurance adjuster, a dealer inspection/diagnosis, so that everyone knows who should be responsible...

Not saying I support litigation at all but if they did it and it ends up being $$$, might just want a back up plan.

The following users liked this post:
Jennifer Crocker (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Behind the battery box towards the firewall are some ECUs, I can't remember which ones, but it sounds like those got wet. Disconnect dry out connectors and add dielectric grease.

I'm on my phone so can't see if your location is in your signature, but if you are in so cal area I can read the codes.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Baja

Damn, you are in so cal!!!

I'm in Huntington Beach.

Call or text if I can help.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:37 PM
7th Gear

We took the center console out and found water ponding in spots, dried it out, cleaned all connectors, used that dielectric grease, put it all back together... and it worked!!! No more F fault, I am able to shift. Then we turned it off, pulled out the key.. and the wipers started again. ugh. Hoping that will dry also but does anybody know about the wiper sensor location?

Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 PM
7th Gear
Default water

took apart the center console and found water ponding at the bottom. Dried it out with vacuum and air compressor, cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease, put it all back together and it worked!! I have no F fault, shifter works correctly, super happy.. then took out the key and the wipers started up again. So I'm hoping that will dry out also and were going to run the code on it.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM
7th Gear
Default solved it

Ended up pulling up the gear box center console and found puddled water!! Dielectric'ed all the connectors and cleaned them, vacuumed the water up, air compressor also. Put it all back together and no more F fault, got all gears back. Wipers/radio still were haywire but dried in the next few hours. Crazy day.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 LR3 sudden weird problems- water related??-imag9900.jpg   2005 LR3 sudden weird problems- water related??-imag9901.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Baja

Congratulations!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Overlanding

I don't know why, but it seems like a Landy can plow through rivers in the Amazon all day but one pressured spray of water in the engine compartment and you got trouble. I don't even run mine through traditional car washes any more.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

Still plenty of water fording abilities...just doesn't have "Submarine Mode" and water ingressing in the wrong areas is detrimental.

Quick Reply: 2005 LR3 sudden weird problems- water related??