LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 HSE Air Compressor/Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 HSE Air Compressor/Suspension Fault

Hello,

I'm new to the community so I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but we have a 2006 Land Rover Range Rover HSE that has the 'Suspension Fault - Normal Height Only' error display, and the ride has become insanely bouncy. Our local shop has said that the air compressor appears to be dead. They checked power to it and everything else checked out fine. They recommended replacing the air compressor with the same one, and suggested that this may avoid having to have it reprogrammed by the dealership. Can anyone confirm if this is good information?

We want to make sure that if they do the work (quoted at $1290 - I think the compressors run around $700-$900 new, and I'm not comfortable doing the work at this point..) that we're not totally screwed if it does in fact need to be reprogrammed.

Also I've read that sometimes the faulty sensors on the wheels can cause suspension fault programs, but we're around 140k miles at this point and the compressor has been loud and odd for some time so I'm not having a hard time believing it may be shot.

Any and all suggestions and feedback are much appreciated!

Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not done the compressor yet. Have looked into desiccant replace and looks fairly simple (i have the AMK). Also looked into rebuild if I had the hitachi compressor. I would think buying the GAP tool (you can use this to reprogram yourself among so much more) and a used compressor and rebuilding it would be way more inexpensive to do. I understand you said you were uncomfortable doing it yourself though. Just throwing that out there.
Again if you had the GAP tool you would be able to see all the faults yourself to see possibly the cause to a greater extent. It will be the best 500 bucks spent on the LR3 if you are a do it yourself type eventually and honestly even if you are not.
Others will have a lot more experience with the issue. But I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for here, and welcome to the forums.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for your reply!

Let me ask you, the GAP tool is specifically for the Land Rover, correct? Besides proprietary codes, what makes it differ from other standard OBD tools? Am I correct in assuming that you need a Land Rover specific one for the reprogramming?

Originally Posted by scoutrover13
I have not done the compressor yet. Have looked into desiccant replace and looks fairly simple (i have the AMK). Also looked into rebuild if I had the hitachi compressor. I would think buying the GAP tool (you can use this to reprogram yourself among so much more) and a used compressor and rebuilding it would be way more inexpensive to do. I understand you said you were uncomfortable doing it yourself though. Just throwing that out there.
Again if you had the GAP tool you would be able to see all the faults yourself to see possibly the cause to a greater extent. It will be the best 500 bucks spent on the LR3 if you are a do it yourself type eventually and honestly even if you are not.
Others will have a lot more experience with the issue. But I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for here, and welcome to the forums.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Yes the GAP tool is specific to Land Rover. It has very specific capabilities you'll want beyond just reading/clearing the codes. For example, the updating of the compressor software. The faults CAN mean height sensors, it depends on the symptoms. Yours don't sound sensor-specific. I don't know as much about the RR (this is an LR3 forum) but you'll want to also check your brake switch and tail lights.

Does your compressor even come on when you select a taller height setting?

The following users liked this post:
scoutrover13 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I totally missed the Range Rover part. My bad.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Codes would be a big help. Cars have ODBII codes which are fairly universal, but EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) are specific to the Rover and probably won't show up on just any regular reader. GAP tool is not cheap, the only cheaper option is RSW solutions software for about $200. Then you can get codes for most systems, calibrate ride heights and numerous other things. But the GAP tool does more.

The information about re-programming is correct. So if there is a Hitachi in there, swap with same brand compressor. There are three brands, but the Dunlop and Hitachi are technically the same (so you can go with either).

If the compressor is dead then it is probably past rebuilding now. Especially if its been loud. If they are certain it gets power when it should, then its probably the compressor and not a relay or fuse. You could have your shop swap with a used one. Its a bit of a gamble, but they can certainly test it in place with just the power connection to make sure it fires up. Sometimes you can source used ones in good shape in eBay. I bought a new take-off for $200.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMK_Replacement.pdf (677.3 KB, 492 views)