LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 HSE Suspension Fault, HDC/Transmission Fault & Headlight Steering lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 LR3 HSE Suspension Fault, HDC/Transmission Fault & Headlight Steering lights

HELP!

Guys, I have a 2006 LR3 HSE that has been giving me fits. Replaced the old air compressor with an AMK retrofitted last year and it seemed to work fine.

The thing is I started to get a Transmission Fault/HDC Fault (on the dash which pretty much lowers the car to access ride height, I lose the ability to raise and lower the LR, cruise control is lost) and I get a suspension fault.

I started to lose the suspension height and HDC and then it would lower me down to the bump stops and give me 30 mph speed message. And before I could just clear the faults by stopping and restarting the car again and the suspension fault would stay off for a bit.

After replacing: The brake Light Switch, the batter, two left side ride height sensors, two front Air Struts, the HDCU (High Dynamic Control Unit)

Now, the first indie I took it to replaced the Control Unit and some other stuff and it was never fixed. Got the same Suspension Fault, HDC Fault and now the headlight steering fault. We did find a blown light in the rear left brake light column and then the license plate bulb isn't on either.

Same thing, would lower me down to the bump stops and
when viewing the 4X4 screen in cabin the left rear tire would be off and of course there would be a fault and the LR would lower.

So, with staffing shady issues at the Indie I took it into another shop while the first shop was closed until further notice while they hired new staff.

The second shop did a pigtail wiring replacment for the rear left ride height sensor and all seemed to work for a bit. UNTIL...

20 miles down the road after leaving the 2nd shop (they did a heigh calibration and realignment before I left) and the Suspension Faulted, the HDC faulted and I was back down on the bump stops.

Brought it back in and they traced a 5 amp wire that wasn't communicating with the main ECU.

SO HERE IS THE THING.

When its wet out, I get the faults. The 2nd shop was able to find the 5 amp wire and get it communicating with the ECU HOWEVER, I still get the suspension fault and now again the HDC/Transmission Fault which lowers the car down to access height. I look at the 4x4 Status Screen and sometimes the left rear tire is "off line" like the white line is bottomed out HOWEVER ALSO, the car seems to be balanced and before I get the suspension fault, Im riding at normal ride height and without the HDC/Transmission Fault, I can raise and lower the vehicle just fine.

SO HERE IS THE OTHER THING... I have read before here or elsewhere that sometimes there are leaks. I have taken the car through the car wash and had leaks through the sunroof (not bad but drips of water from probably the old seal wearing and then one time I had water come down the from passenger side windshield/whatever you want to call it near the passenger side small side airbag.

The 2nd shop traced the wiring to a point in the rear but I they didn't get up front where I have read there are possible ground wire issues near the driver side footwells or on the passenger side that commonly cause these faults and through the computers into fault mode for the the aforementioned.

I could see the dealer or anyone else just pulling common codes and replacing things again and again and again the same parts and nothing being solved on top of trying to replace the Steering Angle Sensor lol.

I'm pretty sure it is a wiring issue due to wear and tear. The LR3 has 219,000 miles on it and aside from a PCV valve to replace the car is phenomenal but I'm afraid the Sh*T show for the indie guys may be something simple but finding it will be a bear.

Can anyone help refresh my memory or please share their similar experiences or point me to threads that are similar? The threads I have seen are ok and sometimes pictures but never detailed enough to get me by before my wallet gets flushed by more shops.

Thank you for your time and consideration regarding this matter. I know its a weird but common one enough that perhaps someone will save me from peril!

Old 05-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

on the passenger side under the scuff plate is a huge loom that runs front to rear. With water leaks they are notorious for corrosion and causing a number of problems and gremlins.

There is also the Transfer case control module behind the battery. This gets water run off from the cowl. It may look fine but you need to pull the connections and check for corrosion. If corroded clean it up with contact cleaner, a soft tooth brush, and pack with dielectric grease.

Also depending on how bad your sunroof is leaking and where it could be dumping water on the terrain response dial and causing it to mess up.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

^ Yeah... pull the door sills (they come straight up) and check for water. Usually the carpet is pretty wet if there is an issue.