LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 stalls after starting and after filling tank

Old 03-17-2016, 10:49 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 stalls after starting and after filling tank

I've cleaned the throttle body and also replaced the mass air flow sensor (well the dealer did the last one).

Still stalls after starting. I can give it some gas and then it seems to run ok.

Sometimes stalls while stopping at an intersection.

I've just noticed it runs very rough and can also stall after filling the tank.

Think this is a fuel pump issue?? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Moved to LR3 forum.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Any check engine light or codes? How about messages on the dash info area?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Only other issues I can think of that result in these symptoms are a bad thermostat or PCV valve. What did the dealer have to say when it was there? They didn't offer a diagnosis?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder, out loud if there is a problem with the Tank Piping behind the fill plate, Tank Seal, or something else.. Any fumes smell as well?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Fuel trims

What do the fuel trims show? Any decent code reader will be able to show this (even the rental one at advance auto).

Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thermostat shouldn't be causing the issue, engine relies on a few temp sensors to determine engine temp, coolant temp, etc and adjust EFI (open/closed loop, fuel trims, etc) accordingly. If one of those is bad, it could cause the issue. Tstat open will also throw CEL as the car gives up trying to heat it up ASAP since the temp never increases adequately.

Usually temp sensors fail with an "implausible" result (ie. 1000 degrees or something lol) and throw a CEL pointing directly at sensor.

Things that might NOT cause a CEL and explain the issues would be vacuum leaks! These motors are VERY sensitive to vac leaks. If you can get it running, pull the dip stick and see if the idle changes or if it still runs like crap. If it gets worse it won't really prove anything (might just result in more of a leak, not sure..) but if it remains the same, it will pretty much confirm a vac leak.

I'm not aware of too many leak points on these.

Doubt it's fuel pump since you're having issues during no-load situations. Maybe fuel pressure regulator if anything, but the car can monitor that plus it should throw a CEL, AND it should toss out a few lean / misfire codes too.

Can you elaborate on the "after filling tank" thing? It's in the title but not your post. It's possible that it's related to the purge valve for Evap emissions system. I know VW/Audi had issues with purge valves which would cause hard starts and idle issues actually - and was MUCH worse after filling up.

I'd scan live data and look at temperatures on everything from IAT, coolant, head temp, etc.. if all of those check out, I'd look for vac leaks (smoke generator, listen for them, pull the dip stick, etc) then try that purge valve thing, but I'm not familiar with this vehicles evap emissions system and that might not apply at all - it's just SO similar that I figured I'd mention it.

Good luck!