LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
It does sound familiar...some kind of "sleeve."
I believe you're thinking of the leaking datalink sleeve on the trans pan for the ZF6HP on the applicable LR3 and RRS vehicles - this is just a nuisance fluid leak and has nothing to do with transmission performance (unless of course the fluid gets too low, but that doesn't sound like the case here.) Easily checked with a quick visual inspection.

This definitely sounds like some kind of supporting component, switch, sensor, etc.. there are a few things in the shift console area which would impact this but I don't know the details.

Just from a diagnostics point of view, and given the stellar reputation of the ZF6HP in rovers and other vehicles, I find it incredibly unlikely that it would fail in general, much less "out of the blue" like you mentioned.

Sounds like the dealership is either a) incompetent and totally clueless as to the correct diagnostics procedure for finding the actual root cause or b) simply slow and/or decided they could rip you off, they needed the work, and decided you might "bite" and go ahead with a very expensive job.

I mean you'd almost be better off buying another used LR3 for what they'd probably charge in parts/labor lol.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Look into this

From this link: DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

Radio Noise Filter Transmission Electronic Control Unit
The jpg shows part number LR020488, a noise suppression capacitor located underneath on a bracket on the right side of the transmission forward of the selector shaft lever. The suppressor is connected to the transmission wiring harness and prevents solenoid operating noise affecting the audio system.

Failure of the capacitor is most often discovered as a result of either black smoke from below and or the blowing of 10 amp fuse F30E located in the engine compartment fuse box. This fuse protects the power circuit to the Transmission Engine Control Unit. When the fuse blows, the engine will still run however you have no gears, hence movement of the 3 is inhibited.

Anything over eight years in service is considered good capacitor life. If the capacitor does fail and fuse 30 blows, a quick fix is just to disconnect the capacitor and replace the fuse.

The capacitor might be missed by the DOT/FCC but the 3 does not seem to mind. With the filter disconnected, solenoid noise might be heard on some radio stations but at least the 3 would be in motion.

The following users liked this post:
EstorilM (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_turtle
From this link: DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

Radio Noise Filter Transmission Electronic Control Unit
The jpg shows part number LR020488, a noise suppression capacitor located underneath on a bracket on the right side of the transmission forward of the selector shaft lever. The suppressor is connected to the transmission wiring harness and prevents solenoid operating noise affecting the audio system.

Failure of the capacitor is most often discovered as a result of either black smoke from below and or the blowing of 10 amp fuse F30E located in the engine compartment fuse box. This fuse protects the power circuit to the Transmission Engine Control Unit. When the fuse blows, the engine will still run however you have no gears, hence movement of the 3 is inhibited.

Anything over eight years in service is considered good capacitor life. If the capacitor does fail and fuse 30 blows, a quick fix is just to disconnect the capacitor and replace the fuse.

The capacitor might be missed by the DOT/FCC but the 3 does not seem to mind. With the filter disconnected, solenoid noise might be heard on some radio stations but at least the 3 would be in motion.
Great post, even if not applicable (hopefully it is though..) it's ALWAYS good to know stuff like this.

It's stupid $5 problems like these that cause people to sell vehicles at half price fearing a dead trans, engine, or whatever.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Which shop, there are a few up there. Let me know if I can help, I know some of the guys at the local LR club up there, and a shop or 2.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Great post, even if not applicable (hopefully it is though..) it's ALWAYS good to know stuff like this.

It's stupid $5 problems like these that cause people to sell vehicles at half price fearing a dead trans, engine, or whatever.
It is not really 5 $ part , more like 35 - 45 bucks range , but yes, if it is faulty , it will disable transmission . Simple trail fix would be to disconnect it , it sits directly behind a tranny shifting cable on passenger;s side of the tranny and it is very finicky to replace, but it can be done with a little bit of patience and long fingers .I swapped mine proactively this year , as any RF transmitter that is over 10 years old should be replaced anyway.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bentonrover
Did you was the engine bay? Kinda of funny that it seemed to stop working after the wash. Start cheap. Brake light switch, recently changed bulbs, and battery voltage? Pretty sure there are some rover club members down that way. Good luck
friends would like to reciprocate ... with a big tip ... failure in the socket of the brake lights (lack of ground contact) means that with the half light on the car does not change gears ... in addition to generating numerous failures. .. when it happens when you turn on the headlights to hear the gear change ..... we hear the same noise when you step on the brake. thankful.