LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 ECU replacement/repair question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 ECU replacement/repair question

Hello all,

Been working on an 07 LR3 SE7 that was in an accident (right front damage).
Bought as a project vehicle.

I cannot get it to start!!

The instrument cluster display reads:
Transmission Fault/limited gears available
Engine system fault
System fault special program not available
Park brake fault

If I unplug both connectors (C0634 and C0635) from the ECU, the instrument cluster display gives the same reading as above.

After hours of trouble shooting, it seems like the ECU is not responding.

Connected a Snap-on modis to the OBDII and could communicate with the transmison and body control ECU, but NOTHING with the engine control.

Have power and ground at the connector of the ECU.

Can I purchase a used ECU from a junkyard, replace mine and not have it reprogrammed?

Or should I send the ECU to one of these repair places? They claim the ability to test it stand alone and determine if it is functioning properly or not.

I’m not really certain what to do next, any experienced suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best regards,

Nick

Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll bet that the junkyard option would require dealer level computer programming. Meter all fuses (hair line crack). Reset inertia switch?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I'll bet that the junkyard option would require dealer level computer programming. Meter all fuses (hair line crack). Reset inertia switch?
Thanks!!!

I checked all fuses in both fuse blocks (twice), only found one to be open and replaced it.

As for the inertia switch, my initial thought was how did i miss that!??

Did some searching here and online, does the LR3 have an inertia switch?
If so, where might it be located? I cannot find it in the shop manual either.

Best Regards,
Nick

Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Fuses 27E and 13E in underhood box would have to be good.

Fuse Link 11E under hood and fuses 25P and 60P in central junction box would have to be good.

The Restraint Control Module handles those crash functions. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...5+Dies+Driving

If unit had body damage, those sensors could be holding you back.

When you turn the ignition key, do any relays in underhood box operate? As an example, the main relay should pull in and power up sensors like O2.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like the HS CAN is down, take a good look at the connectors to the T-case ECU, as well as the unit itself. Located behind the battery, in front of the PCM.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Mudding

Thanks Savannah Buzz!

I have read the "Dies while driving" thread a few times now.

Seems like my vehicle is still in crash mode.
The hazard lights do flash and the driver wheel bag only did diploy from accident.

Any idea on how to reset crash mode? I have read cycling ignition should do it, but no success here.

Will check in am relay power.

Best Regards,

Nick

Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by roverguy7
Sounds like the HS CAN is down, take a good look at the connectors to the T-case ECU, as well as the unit itself. Located behind the battery, in front of the PCM.
Hi Dave,

thanks for your response, it is appreciated!! If you were closer my 3 would be with you as my aggravation level is high. This thing is beating me up mentally. The three DII's I owned in the past were a walk in the park compared to this thing.

When I first pulled the T-case ECU, the pins in the connector had some mild corrosion. They have been vigorously cleaned since. No difference after cleaning.

I keep leaning towards the CAN bus being down as well, feel something is pulling it down but what is the million dollar question. Searched for some time (hours) looking for damaged wires, the worse i could find was some small kinks in a few. Used an exacto knife to gently remove inslation around kink, conductor looked fine, no strands broken.

Feel I may be overlooking something obviuos.

Best regards,

Nick

Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Pro Wrench

The hazards are flashing?

With the key on, not running obviously, does the HVAC work? Radio? Interior lights and other body functions like remotes and such?

How much damage was there, just front corner, or into the passenger compartment?

Do you still have access to the Modis, if so, check comms with everything possible, what can talk, what can't.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by roverguy7
The hazards are flashing?

Yes the hazard lights do flash when key is in on position.

With the key on, not running obviously, does the HVAC work? Radio? Interior lights and other body functions like remotes and such?

How much damage was there, just front corner, or into the passenger compartment?

Do you still have access to the Modis, if so, check comms with everything possible, what can talk, what can't.
Hi Dave,

HVAC system blows air accordingly, radio works, interior lights work, remote functions as should.

Damage restricted to passenger front only. Damage did not get into cabin area. Passenger door still fully aligned, windscreen never broke, headlamps still in tact. Majority of damage was RF suspension: bent upper and lower arms (replaced) and knuckle ripped off. Frame will need to be pulled. Will attach a pic tomorrow.

I can get the Modis, my buddy borrows it from work, may take a few days depending on usage at his job.

When we initially scanned, we could communicate with all modules except the PCM. Should I be looking for something else?

As always, Thanks!

Nick

Last edited by Jst4fun; 09-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench

I was asking as the hazards going off is a sign that the MS CAN bus is down, which will cause a no crank situation. The HS CAN being down is also possible, but just a lack of comms with PCM would not indicate this being the fault.

See what can talk, try with everything, even stuff that has no relation to what's going on such as TPMS and such.

Crash mode will also cause the hazards to go off, but along with the locks constantly cycling. Crash mode on this is different then on a lot of other cars, as it is not based on a particular 'crash message', but on the lack of a 'not-crash signal' that is always transmitted until there is a crash.

Last edited by roverguy7; 09-08-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 ECU replacement/repair question