LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting. The number stamped on the coil is a Ford engineering number, which I am usually able to cross-reference to a sellable part number. However, this engineering number will not cross-reference in Ford's parts system. The coil strongly resembles the 2W4Z-12029-B coils used in Lincoln LS with the LR/Jag v8 (which is to be expected), but with the bolt hole clocked opposite to the electrical connector.

A quick google search shows this coil as having a Honda application as well...maybe overseas?

The following users liked this post:
cmb6s (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, I think I'll be going with aftermarket coils in the future. At $40-50 a pop, it's certainly worth it to me rather than paying twice that much for OEM. Thank you for taking a look though!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Well, I think I'll be going with aftermarket coils in the future. At $40-50 a pop, it's certainly worth it to me rather than paying twice that much for OEM. Thank you for taking a look though!
Worst case if you're having issues diagnosing something you think might be coil-related you can always swap it with a known-good coil preferable at least one cylinder apart from the one in question. If nothing changes it most likely has nothing to do with the coil in question.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=rormac;548052

The fault codes I have are:
P0171 - Bank 1 too lean
P0174 - Bank 2 too lean
P0175 - Bank 2 too rich
P0316 - Misfire first 1000 revs
Cheers![/QUOTE]

I just my LR3 back from the shop with similar errors and behavior. Specific to the P0316, the tech stated I may need to replace the "ignition amplifier". Ive used my limited googlfu skills and cant seem to find anything about an "ignition amplifier" for a LR3. Any suggestions?

Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Is that the same thing as the ignition capacitor?

Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Is that the same thing as the ignition capacitor?
That was my first thought - I highly doubt it could cause such dramatic CEL codes, but at the same time LR did replace the part early in LR3 production which tends to imply that there was a large problem with it.

I've done the swap with a slight miss that never threw codes and absolutely nothing changed.

edit: For the record though, I think the part is like $20 and can be replaced in about 10 minutes, so I'd definitely start there.

As I mentioned a few months ago, there are very few things that impact multiple coils (if that's how the onset was) - so this would seem to be a logical starting place, since it does indeed impact all coils.

FWIW all it does is isolate the noise generated by the high voltage coils from interfering with the radio reception and quality.

Last edited by EstorilM; 09-13-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

That may be true (about it isolating RF noise) but I've heard a failed one can cause the engine to not start. bbyer said that...and he has "Guru" status on this board.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I ordered the ignition capacitor from a dealer and it set me back $30. It has not arrived as of yet, but once its installed Ill post what happens. In the mean time, I ditched the K&N filter for a regular Purolator paper filter, cleaned the MAF, and cleaned the super gooked up throttle body. That combination seems to have taken care of the CEL, but immediately I began getting other random errors. The most persistent of which seems to be a suspension error stating normal height only. This occurs about 1 out of every 6 or 7 times I drive the rover. Im hoping that the errors are stemming from from a faulty capacitor but who knows. The capacitor should be here on Monday so I suppose I will find out soon.

Last edited by K9Hexe; 09-17-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I can't see a suspension fault being related to that capacitor. What are all the symptoms of the fault? Does the suspension still function? Are there other indications? Could be the brake switch or steering angle sensor. How is your battery?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by houm_wa
That may be true (about it isolating RF noise) but I've heard a failed one can cause the engine to not start. bbyer said that...and he has "Guru" status on this board.
I think you mis-understood my point - I meant that the part is one of the only items which impacts multiple coils at once (the power source to the coils runs through it).

However, I believe no-start is still a bit of a stretch, generally it'll just cause multiple misses. I guess anything is possible.

I don't worry too much about the titles. I'm hardly ever on the forums thus don't have many posts and such. Definitely been through some interesting times with my rovers though.

Quick Reply: 4.4 issues