LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Ahhh....okay.

My only point about bbyer is that he usually accurate with his information.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I can't see a suspension fault being related to that capacitor. What are all the symptoms of the fault? Does the suspension still function? Are there other indications? Could be the brake switch or steering angle sensor. How is your battery?
I see and feel no issues with the suspension and it is functioning with no problems, at least until the fault occurs. Battery is doing great as well. Im hoping to get that capacitor installed this week so we shall see...

Old 09-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you scan it with the gap tool or with a generic OBD2 scanner?

I ask because any time I have a code the Gap tool points me right to whatever has failed. If I use my OBD2 scanner it just gives me basic info like you posted.. Something to think about or maybe take it to have a Land Rover scan done.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 AM
Mudding

No luck with the suspension faults after the capacitor change out. Boo. My next thought is that its faulting due to one of my front tires constantly needing air. The more I have driven it of late, it seems to come one when the TPMS light is on before I can air it up again. New tires are happening this week so we shall see if it continues after the tire issue is fixed.

I dont have a GAP tool but Im hoping Santa will grace me with one this year...

Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Hexe
No luck with the suspension faults after the capacitor change out. Boo. My next thought is that its faulting due to one of my front tires constantly needing air. The more I have driven it of late, it seems to come one when the TPMS light is on before I can air it up again. New tires are happening this week so we shall see if it continues after the tire issue is fixed.

I dont have a GAP tool but Im hoping Santa will grace me with one this year...
Gotta be careful about ditching a logical diagnostic process and throwing parts at a problem. Capacitor = ignition/coil miss issues. That part can't fix a miss / engine problem AND suspension faults. There are (I think) around 13 computer modules in these vehicles? Depending on options, bluetooth, cooler box etc. Most of those faults can be isolated within a given module/system unless it's a low power/low current issue like a battery.

Same with TPMS, that's an independent system and computer. FWIW it's also possible to have a completely flat tire and the EAS can still be happy. It only really cares about the distance from the control arm / hub to the frame ie. level sensor arm travel. You could take all the wheels/tires off and it could still be happy. Although one flat tire may screw up the angle of the other sensors enough to make it unhappy, but this is unlikely as I just had one of mine down to like 20psi (nail) visually lower than the others with zero issues.

You really can't diagnose an issue like that "normal height only" error without a scanner. You'd literally just have to start randomly throwing parts at it.

While engine computers can give you some unhelpful diag info, a computer like the EAS system will generally narrow down the fault rather well just due to the relatively simple nature of the system. For example it may get some out of range data on a certain sensor that (combined with the other sensors' data) it determines must be an impossible value. Most computers then go into a fault mode and disregard the suspected sensor. This is common in aviation especially the fly-by-wire aircraft systems. I can't think of the right term at the moment, but it's just a data mismatch that the computer knows is impossible.

I guess my point is that in the EAS computer it would say something like FL height sensor value improbable or out of range, etc. It could also be a thousand different things such as galley air pressure value limits exceeded or value improbable, compressor duty cycle exceeded value, compressor temperature sensor error, etc BUT in every one of those cases, each error pretty much points to the exact part in question. So in the case of the EAS, it's essential to be able to read and access the LR-specific faults stored within the EAS module.

edit: I re-read your other posts and missed the part about the K&N filter - what's the deal with your engine / misfire problems since then? That's just a BIG TIME no-no in the jaguar / land rover world, at least with the AJ-V8 and the engine control systems they use. There are literally pages and pages of people with threads about engine problems after using them.

Last edited by EstorilM; 10-11-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Mudding
Default Late reply

Over all my ride has been much happier since ditching the K&N. It was in there when I purchased the Rover and I didn't think much about it until I stared reading on this forum. My throttle body is consistently much much cleaner now.

In addition to ditching the K&N, I replaced the ignition capacitor, MAF, pcv valve and the air compressor. I've managed to get rid of all the codes with the exceptions of the P0171 and P0174 Too lean error codes. I've run some sea foam as well as 44k but those codes remain. Those codes were from my i930 carsoft Land Rover specific scanner. What should my next attempt be to get rid of those codes?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Same with TPMS, that's an independent system and computer. FWIW it's also possible to have a completely flat tire and the EAS can still be happy. It only really cares about the distance from the control arm / hub to the frame ie. level sensor arm travel. You could take all the wheels/tires off and it could still be happy. Although one flat tire may screw up the angle of the other sensors enough to make it unhappy, but this is unlikely as I just had one of mine down to like 20psi (nail) visually lower than the others with zero issues.
Actually, there was a recent thread where a slightly different sized tire on the rear was causing transmission faults, so who knows. I'd be curious to see if new tires fix the suspension issue, but double check to make sure they are all the same size and the right size. Source: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e2/#post329344

As for the too lean error codes, you may need to get your fuel adaptations reset. Another recent thread discussed how even when a problem was fixed, faults persisted until the fuel adaptations were reset (dealer or IID tool can do this). See: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...v-issue-82635/

Last edited by djkronik57; 02-10-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I don't think we (collectively) ever determined the largest tire size disparity (in terms of OD) that can be run w/o pissing of the computers. Most us running at least 2" larger have a separate spare.