LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.4L Engine Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 4.4L Engine Compatibility

In anticipation of my engine repair I have been planning for worst case scenario. As such, I have been looking at numerous board sites and online third party retailers.

I have come to realize the BMW 4.4L (740) engine may work in the LR3 V8 application but things like the oil pan / oil pump chain need to be swapped.

Since everything goes up by 20% when you put Land Rover in front of the description, I figured I would put this idea out to the veterans of the board and get some general feedback.

Obviously there have been many comments on the costs being reallocated from one (straight 4.4L Land Rover) engine purchase to another (other block purchase and lots of labor for adapting) account so six to one half a dozen to another.

In any event feedback is much appreciated.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

....what about the LR4's 5.0L? Probably more expensive engine but you may spend less money making it all work.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you aware that the 4.4L in the LR3 is a variant of the Jaguar AJ-V8 ? It's called the AJ41 Jaguar AJ-V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trying to fit an unrelated engine (e.g. the BMW) would be extremely ambitious, and hardly a cheaper solution.

The 5.0L from the later models is also a Jaguar engine, however it it very different to the earlier models and not what I would consider an easy swap.

From reading your other thread, the engine in your LR3 overheated? This can often be a death-blow for these engines, as they are completely aluminium. The typical outcome from extreme overheating is warped heads and dropped valve seats, which are pretty obvious when the heads are removed.

What's less obvious is bottom end damage... the general consensus with these engines is it's more economical to replace with a good used unit, than to rebuild.

If you are struggling to find a suitably priced AJ41 4.4L then fitting an AJ33/34 4.2L from a Jaguar would be an option, you would need to swap over a lot of external components, also the sump, oil pickup, front timing cover, and a few smaller details.

There is some general information about what you would need to change over from a LR 4.4 to a Jag 4.2 in this thread on the jaguar forum ==>> Quick Reference: Swap your 4.0 block with a 4.2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
4thefamily (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cambo
Are you aware that the 4.4L in the LR3 is a variant of the Jaguar AJ-V8 ? It's called the AJ41 Jaguar AJ-V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trying to fit an unrelated engine (e.g. the BMW) would be extremely ambitious, and hardly a cheaper solution.

The 5.0L from the later models is also a Jaguar engine, however it it very different to the earlier models and not what I would consider an easy swap.

From reading your other thread, the engine in your LR3 overheated? This can often be a death-blow for these engines, as they are completely aluminium. The typical outcome from extreme overheating is warped heads and dropped valve seats, which are pretty obvious when the heads are removed.

What's less obvious is bottom end damage... the general consensus with these engines is it's more economical to replace with a good used unit, than to rebuild.

If you are struggling to find a suitably priced AJ41 4.4L then fitting an AJ33/34 4.2L from a Jaguar would be an option, you would need to swap over a lot of external components, also the sump, oil pickup, front timing cover, and a few smaller details.

There is some general information about what you would need to change over from a LR 4.4 to a Jag 4.2 in this thread on the jaguar forum ==>> Quick Reference: Swap your 4.0 block with a 4.2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Having owned a 2001 RR HSE in the past, I am all too familiar with the engine overheat death blow. And even thought the engine runs, there is a significant knock some where. I thought it was in the top end but now that I keep learning more, I am starting to believe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

I will check out the Jag link and see if that is something for me.

Thanks for the info.....