LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Wheeler Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019 | 12:25 AM
|
Mudding
Default 4 Wheeler Reliability

Anyone who has owned a rover knows of their “quirks”. Especially those of us who have driven a DII for any period of time. But the LR3’s, from what I’ve read, have been a huge improvement in reliability. Obviously the 4 runner is going to put reliability anything. But are LR3’s really less reliable than a similar model year Jeep? I know they have their problems too.

Old 07-05-2019 | 10:04 AM
Mudding

I am not aware of your knowledge of jeeps but before I got my LR3 a year and a half ago all I owned was jeeps since 2004. I can say the wranglers are very reliable rigs, especially the TJs, which are the 1997-2006 variant with the round headlights and the 4.0l HO and the AX15. With little upgrades and lift you can obtain quite a bit in "4 wheeling". Also relatively easy to work on as a side note. I mean there are a lot of other things you can get into like axles, lockers, SYE and drive shafts. But that is a different story for a different forum!

The Cherokees are a different story completely outside of the XJ which is the super boxy or aka Cherokee sport etc... Those are solid rigs and super cheap and capable off-road, not as much as the TJs but... I've had ZJs and Wj and both had to have all kinds of Electrical work done including but not limited to body control modules and PCMs blah blah blah...

I've also had the newer JKs which are the 2007-2017 (or something). We had the JKU which is the 4 door and it was great. (not as awesome as my TJs) I got rid of it @ 175k and only thing I had to replace on that thing ever was the obvious maintenance, a radiator, throttle body and a PCM. The only thing I did not do myself is the throttle body and PCM due to the dealer had to flash both when installed and I could not myself. Thankfully I had connections at the dealer.

One nice caveat is the wrangles hold their value like crazy more than most vehicles. Having said all of that they ride like a buggy, fairly rough, they are light and the towing capacity is not all that great. There are a other reasons why Jeeps are good rigs and others why they are not especially on roads.

Now that I'm in a LR though I don't think I will ever go back to a jeep. I love my Rover! I hate the parts are so expensive but its old enough that there are aftermarket parts out that are comparable to most any other vehicle and the confidence to do most the work yourself (plus a GAP tool, that's a must!) I have done quite a bit to my LR3 since purchased when funds would allow in the way of maintenance. I do not think I could ever afford a new one though but I'm OK with second had that has been taken care of. The luxuries are hard to beat and the LRs, though independent (non solid axle), is still very capable plus I'm not rock crawling super buggy-ing stuff anyways. I go on vacation and leave my rig at home and literally miss it. LOL

I am a new to rovers guy and have never owned a DII or any other LR for that matter but so far I love my LR3 and with the guys on here like Abran and Armyrover to name a couple, their knowledge and willing to help out is worth its weight in gold. One thing I use to always say about jeep owners is they are inherently d**ks to anyone not in a jeep and super judgmental to those that are that may run something in their opinion to be sub-par. I pride myself in being an A**hole but that is one thing I completely disagree with. We are all just wanting to get out and have fun and if you cant afford the best of the best then I think its better to get what you can and use it rather than sitting on the sofa day dreaming about it. Though I do believe in buy once cry once (if funds allow).

Plus around here all you see are Jeeps (middle, nc) i rarely see a LR, mostly the newer ones and never built up to anything as far as off roading goes.
Bottom line is if you are mechanical in nature and have the time, patience and brains about you then it really is a easy choice. Get what you like! Cus never the less, off roading you will break s**t that is a inevitable regardless what you are in and the knowledge of how to even attempt to fix it is better than anything that Nissan or any other car company will bring to the table.

I know others on here will have better reasons why LRs are an edge up but like I said I'm new and lack much experience with them, prob get some hate too from anyone here with jeeps. Oh well!!

One of my old TJs my buddy got from me and my LR3 at Uwharrie NF

Viva los Rovers
Semper fi

The following users liked this post:
KMET (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019 | 11:06 AM
Mudding

Agree with everything said. You’re an a hole.

😬

Old 07-05-2019 | 12:17 PM
Mudding

LOL I know that's what I'm saying. I'm good knowing that too.
But honestly I think someone will get butt hurt!

Old 07-05-2019 | 02:10 PM
Baja

I have a tingling feeling, but I would not say it hurts...

Old 07-05-2019 | 02:46 PM
Mudding

I defiantly think its crazy though how someone will read a 900+ word write-up like this where half of it is how jeeps are good and single out two words and get all sour over that. When if read in context it is actually saying that they are a tight knit group and proud of their rigs, but like I said someone will, and if so it was meant with a since of dark humor.
I know I went out will some guys the other day and they would not even let me roll with them because I was not in an JL. I ended up riding with one of the other guys. And I told them the same thing, they got a laugh out of it.
But I do like my LR3 so much more than my jeeps maybe because I've have them for so long and this is new. Even though they are awesome. Always joked about jeep standing for Just Empty Every Pocket but I have realized that LR stands for Loan Required. Its all fun though! good way to get out and meet folks, drink beer and some laugh!

Another thing I like about jeeps is the Jeep wave, that sense of camaraderie. I'm sure its the same in the LR world (minus the wave) but here in my area they are far and few between.

Abran, the tingling remark had me rolling. I'm going to have to use that one, hope you don't mind!

Old 07-05-2019 | 03:05 PM
Baja

Not at all! Im sure I stole it from someone else. Have a good day.

Old 07-05-2019 | 04:17 PM
Camel Trophy

When I get in a vehicle and turn it on, I want it to return the favor.

If reliability is your primary concern and you don't mind driving some boring thing that everyone else has, get a Toyota. They certainly have issues too though.

Jeeps - just not for me. I have driven almost every modern model and did not like them. Patriot being the biggest turd. But despite the fact they are boring, they are very capable. I just needed something more capable that fit my needs and no Jeep could do that.

Old 07-05-2019 | 04:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
When I get in a vehicle and turn it on, I want it to return the favor.

If reliability is your primary concern and you don't mind driving some boring thing that everyone else has, get a Toyota. They certainly have issues too though.

Jeeps - just not for me. I have driven almost every modern model and did not like them. Patriot being the biggest turd. But despite the fact they are boring, they are very capable. I just needed something more capable that fit my needs and no Jeep could do that.
Past & present Jeepers have a better since of humor.

Right there with you buddy. Actually, I have my Jeep listed on Craigslist now. Few months back (Second time) I drove it to New Mexico, after coming back I realized I was done with Jeeps.

Side note: Wife's lr3 survived another accident (Same side too... It's the second time both passenger doors are being replaced)

Old 07-05-2019 | 05:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Columbiar
Anyone who has owned a rover knows of their “quirks”. Especially those of us who have driven a DII for any period of time. But the LR3’s, from what I’ve read, have been a huge improvement in reliability. Obviously the 4 runner is going to put reliability anything. But are LR3’s really less reliable than a similar model year Jeep? I know they have their problems too.
I won't own, I should say, I won't modify another Jeep.

We've had 3 Land Rovers, Disco1 and 2 LR3's. The 98 Disco had fewer problems then my Jeep. I probably spent $10K on upgrades. Sure, it's now more capable off road and 20x more reliable on-road, but at what sacrifice. Some upgrades were to correct what I felt were design flaws from the factory. Not sure what trail they used (If any) for that moniker "Trail Rated" but I suspect my GL450 Mercedes could do the same trail.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheeler Reliability