LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Wheeler Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019 | 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Nothing wrong with Jeeps, I simply got beyond bored with them back in the 90’s. Chrysler is no angle sent from heaven, and the biggest issues I’ve ever had was with a brand new Grand Cherokee and a Chrysler 300. While the latter isn’t related to to the question asked, My Land Rovers can go places in stock form most others cannot, and if I want to severely exceed the speed limit, I feel a Rover is much more capable than any Jeep as well. That’s a side bonus.

Old 07-23-2019 | 04:06 PM
1st Gear

When you say "a similar model year Jeep" I assume you mean the Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited (JKU), as I'd say that's the most comparable to an LR3 of anything that bears the name "Jeep". That and the JK was manufactured between 2007 and 2018, meaning it covered half the LR3 life and the entirety of the LR4.

In terms of reliability there was never anything I, nor anyone I knew of, that had much to worry about on JKs. I owned a 2012 (two door) for five years and 110,000 miles. I only had one thing that failed on me that I wouldn't consider as a normal "wear and tear" part (like spark plugs, fluids, filters, etc.) or anything major (like a transmission). For what it's worth, that was an EVAP canister sensor that I think ran me $20 and all of five minutes of repair I did in my driveway.

What I do know is the 3.8L V6 in the 2007 to 2011 years is not purported to be dependable and the much more powerful, torquey 2012 to 2018 engine, the 3.6L V6 Pentastar, did have a possible issue with some early motors concerning the piston rings I believe. Also keep in mind these are the only engines to grace a JK in the United States.

Otherwise they are, for the time, relatively simple vehicles, mechanically and electronically. I am not aware of any major gotchas, and most everything that is there is usually pretty easy to fix and usually inexpensive to fix at that (at least as far as parts are concerned).

Capability-wise to match a stock LR3 you would need a small lift and probably sway bar disconnects (or a much more preferable Antirock sway bar). The LR3 also comes equipped with skids whereas the JK does not. The JK's rear axle also was a standard Dana 35 unless choosing a Dana 44 option from the factory (or if you had the Rubicon trim) until I think 2011 when it did finally become standard. The Dana 30 front was however the only option on all trims except the Rubicon, which has Dana 44 front and rear both equipped with selectable lockers whereas the HSE trim of the LR3 comes with a rear selectable locker only.

Other comparisons can be made to creature-comforts: power windows and locks are an option on the JKU, power seats are a no-go and I don't think they ever came with heated seats or steering wheel to my knowledge. Pre-2011 cruise control was not standard, and radio controls on the steering wheel were not existent at all until then. There is no option for a third-row seat and of course depending on what JKU you look at depends on what top/tops it comes with. There is also no AC routed beyond the dash either. Of course with the Jeep it has no modern competitor in regards to it's ability to remove it's top and doors, which is always fun.

Aftermarket winner is without a doubt, the JKU, but a mile, or several. Every part can be replaced by several different manufacturers offering several different options each. The LR3... not so much, but on the other hand, there's not much it really needs to have upgraded anyway. Throw better tires on an LR3 and you're good to go.

Personally I've always been and still am a Jeep guy, but I love my LR3. I don't really see much of a point to a JKU and have never liked them, I didn't really care much for my JK when I had it and I dumped a lot of money into it making it better and better. That's me though, and to me the Jeep experience is taking off the top and doors and driving a spunky, nimble, off-road beast through sand, rock, mud and you name it. That's why I still have a TJ but would just as gladly have a YJ or any CJ. The JK just doesn't have that same feeling, especially not the JKU, and while I haven't even been inside one I imagine the JL/JLU is no different (but I can imagine it's better than a JK). I haven't had my LR3 all that long, but I do love the thing, more than the JK I had... but not as much as my TJ.

For the money it's hard to go wrong with an LR3 or LR4 these days, they don't retain their value, which is good until the rest of the US figures it out. I paid $7,000 for a stock LR3 and a stock JKU with similar miles would be twice that and not be capable of half what the LR3 is. I can use that extra money and buy five better tires, an IID Tool, a roof rack, a ladder, a winch, a bumper, off-road recovery gear, etc. you get the idea and still have money left over for gas!

Reliability? Treat them right, they'll treat you right. The tl;dr is the LR3 is more electrical than the JKU but even that is very reliable (except the damn keyless entry), the rest is mechanical and from all I know they're on par in those terms.

The following 2 users liked this post by mmmtacos:
houm_wa (07-23-2019), scoutrover13 (07-24-2019)