LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension saga

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension saga

Hi guys, I’ve finally decided to get my hands dirty and hopefully save some money.

We’ve had our 2009 Discovery 3 since new and have had suspension issues in the past. The compressor was replaced in 2018 by a Land Rover repairer, not a dealer. We have always taken it to this guy and have never really been 100% happy with both the work done and the cost.

Our suspension issues occurred again with suspension fault after about 8 minutes of driving. we took her in for a service and to diagnose the fault. The mechanic advised the front airbags were leaking and the compressor would again need replacing. Quoted price AUD $4000+ We took the car home, but a week later the suspension fault came straight on and the car went down to access height and remained there.

I decided to buy the parts and do the repair myself. Long story short, the parts arrived and over the weekend I replaced the front air bags and the compressor with no issues.

upon starting the car the compressor turned on but did nit raise the car. I removed the airline from the rear air block which goes to the tank and air came out, so,basically the tank is filling. It ran for ages and after a while I turned the car off, but have since not been able to get the compressor to turn on again. I have done the relay bypass test and the compressor is still in working order.

Do I need to do some sort of system reset? If so do I need an OBD2 device?

Which OBD2 device is recommended?

My gut feeling is the rear air block is faulty and was possibly faulty all along, but I was going to remove the air hose at the front air block to see if air is getting to it???

Hoping you all have some other suggestions/advice.

Thanks
Craig

Old 09-14-2021, 04:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

There are three air blocks, so you must have disconnected the middle? Disconnecting it does not mean the reservoir is filling unless you disconnected the reservoir line itself. The other lines are gallery. If the gallery was holding air, thats good and does mean pressure was being generated. But keep in mind that air pressure does not mean lift pressure. 100psi will not lift the truck, for example. So a weak/dying compressor may not work. Also the truck fills the reservoir last, always. So if the front was low it would have dumped the reservoir air into the gallery after the compressor fired up to lift it.

To me it sounds like not so much leaking front bags but a dying compressor that just happened to finally go when you did the bags. Jumping it SHOULD start it directly unless the fuse is blown. If the fuse is good then the compressor is dead. If it was some cheap compressor, 100% expected really. They are really hit/miss on longevity with some being bad from day one.

If you really want to know what is up, you need codes pulled.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I realised after I posted that there is 3 air blocks and you are correct, the middle one is the one I disconnected the air line from. A lot of air came out, so I assume it was from the tank as all 4 wheels remained on the bump stops.

I have replaced the compressor with the exact type I removed, AMK branded.

When I start the car now, the air compressor dos not start, but I hear the solenoid from the middle air block and then some air escapes, which I’m guessing is from a relief valve? It then throws up the suspension fault error on the dash.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

There is no relief valve in the center block.