LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air tank Schraeder valve air in mod...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Air tank Schraeder valve air in mod...

Bbyer- how does it work? If your compressor failed would the system still lift if the pressure is sustained in the tank?

I have the parts but I’m skeptical that it will actually do anything in the event of a compressor failure.

Thanks-

Old 12-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I would love to see a successful setup of a recovery system.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

My recovery system plan is flawless on my 06 LR3

Attached Thumbnails Air tank Schraeder valve air in mod...-%24_57.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

The Mark VIII community did something like this. Again, I am not super familiar with the Rover air-ride, but the Mark VIII system had a serious design flaw resulting in vent valve death. So a new vent vale was created called the Spider valve, because it had eight airlines going to it. An updated version added a Schroeder valve for two reasons. If the compressor failed, one could life the system using an external compressor. Or if one needed to fill a flat tire, the air-ride compressor could be used in an emergency to fill the tire -albeit slowly to allow the compressor to stay cool. Another advantage was fast venting and if the muffler cone was removed it was sorta loud, in a cool way. The Mark VIII always went to a park height when the driver door was closed. So it was a great was to scare the elderly The setup was made by American Air Suspension. The part is no longer made but the company is still around.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:26 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
My recovery system plan is flawless on my 06 LR3

Touche, but I love the EAS.

This is the mod I’m speaking of:

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Schrader Valve Air Tank Air In install/Reservoir Air In fittings exploded view

Old 12-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...agree with Abran. @ArmyRover I can appreciate the benefits of a coil solution but to me the EAS is superior, just requires more maintenance. Particularly off-road, I want the articulation and ability to get the extra ground clearance when needed but be a bit lower on-road too.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default works if you are lucky

Originally Posted by abran
Bbyer- how does it work? If your compressor failed would the system still lift if the pressure is sustained in the tank?

I have the parts but I’m skeptical that it will actually do anything in the event of a compressor failure.

Thanks-
The mod works if your 3 is old enough and the right bits break down. In later year 3's, the bung is not there to screw into so that sort of kills the need to know. On older 3's where the problem truly is just the compressor and not ripped out height sensor lines, then yes, the odds are the mod will lift your 3 at least to access height and allow you to motor back home.

I say access height as the air available to re-lift your 3 depends upon how much compressed air you get back into the tank. The air springs run at about 100 to 150 psig so as long as your external air source can do that, then just maybe. I say 'just maybe" as the skill is not so much getting your 3 to rise, but for it to stay up.

It is a battle of computers vs you depending upon the failure mode. If it is just compressor failure, then your 3 will probably lift and continue lifting as you put more air in as the air suspension computers really do not care where the air comes from, as long as there is air. Once up, you pull the appropriate fuses and off you go.

If the problem is ripped out height sensor wiring, then it is a contest between pulling the fuse and delay until the POST deflates all. The good news is a very short time delay that will allow the 3 to start to rise before the computers detect the "safety" concern and energize the exhaust valve.

The blokes in the Outback claim it is a bit of contest of wills, but if you are far enough into the boonies, the mod and the technique seem to work.

Just a thought regarding the spring conversion. It is the air suspension that makes the 3 unique. If you do not want the hassle of learning how to cope with it, (and maintain it), which really costs, then one is better off with a Jeep. There are lots of mods cheap available and Jeeps are cheap to maintain - not something that can be said of the 3 - well that air tank mode is about as cheap as it gets anywhere for anything.

Also the Jeep is easy to drive off road whereas the LR is well different.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Schrader Valve Air Tank Air In install

The following users liked this post:
abran (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...agree with Abran. @ArmyRover I can appreciate the benefits of a coil solution but to me the EAS is superior, just requires more maintenance. Particularly off-road, I want the articulation and ability to get the extra ground clearance when needed but be a bit lower on-road too.
I agree 110% EAS does ride better, tow better and would have saved me at the parking garage yesterday lol.

I do however love going off road with 0 worries about blowing something and hitting the bump stops.

Mostly that was just me being a smart A&* though

Old 12-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by bbyer
The mod works if your 3 is old enough and the right bits break down. In later year 3's, the bung is not there to screw into so that sort of kills the need to know. On older 3's where the problem truly is just the compressor and not ripped out height sensor lines, then yes, the odds are the mod will lift your 3 at least to access height and allow you to motor back home.

I say access height as the air available to re-lift your 3 depends upon how much compressed air you get back into the tank. The air springs run at about 100 to 150 psig so as long as your external air source can do that, then just maybe. I say 'just maybe" as the skill is not so much getting your 3 to rise, but for it to stay up.

It is a battle of computers vs you depending upon the failure mode. If it is just compressor failure, then your 3 will probably lift and continue lifting as you put more air in as the air suspension computers really do not care where the air comes from, as long as there is air. Once up, you pull the appropriate fuses and off you go.

If the problem is ripped out height sensor wiring, then it is a contest between pulling the fuse and delay until the POST deflates all. The good news is a very short time delay that will allow the 3 to start to rise before the computers detect the "safety" concern and energize the exhaust valve.

The blokes in the Outback claim it is a bit of contest of wills, but if you are far enough into the boonies, the mod and the technique seem to work.

Just a thought regarding the spring conversion. It is the air suspension that makes the 3 unique. If you do not want the hassle of learning how to cope with it, (and maintain it), which really costs, then one is better off with a Jeep. There are lots of mods cheap available and Jeeps are cheap to maintain - not something that can be said of the 3 - well that air tank mode is about as cheap as it gets anywhere for anything.

Also the Jeep is easy to drive off road whereas the LR is well different.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Schrader Valve Air Tank Air In install
That is what I wanted to know. Now is my next project, adding a secondary tank.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default second tank makes sense

Land Rover should have installed a second tank as standard and then reduced the max pressure of the air compressor to not much above 150 psig. If they had done that, the compressor would have lasted years. The problem is the last 50 psi so to speak - generates lots of heat and take perhaps more energy to get the last 50 psi than it would to double the volume.

Guys get a tank from a wrecked 3 and the mount the second tank on the passenger side rail. It is a bit of trick to reverse the mounts or build new ones, but the piping is easy - just use more 6mm plastic air line and tee it into the existing air line off the main tank. The hardest part is to get 6mm push fittings. Parker makes them but you will probably have to order same from a Parker dealer. 6mm air line is fairly easy to find as it is used on the Euro tractor units and farm equipment but the fittings are more of a challenge. Parker also has 6mm transport air line.

The link below has some info regarding push fittings and the air line.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - FASKIT Air Suspension Installation

Quick Reply: Air tank Schraeder valve air in mod...