LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another rear Tailgate Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rear Tailgate Issue

I have a rear tailgate opening issue hoping someone can help with that i think is slightly different to the standard issue.

My top tailgate wont open. I have to do the trick of pressing on the two buttons on the dashboard simultaneously for 6 seconds but have someone standing at the back ready to open the tailgate AS SOON AS THE LATCH CLICKS. If you dont open it within a millisecond of the latch opening it wont open and you have to go back and press to the two buttons on the dash for 6 seconds again. Obviously if you are on your own you have to press the town buttons whilst holding a 7 foot stick down the length of the jeep to push the top tailgate open when the latch clicks.

Is that enough info for someone to have a stab at telling me what the problem is and what needs replacing?

I was about to change the actuator in the top tailgate but now im not so sure. IT IS operating for a brief second, so im wondering more if i have an electric problem.

Any help appreciated, i am about to order a clatter of other parts to get the jeep through its MOT

Old 12-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

perhaps it doesn't like being called a jeep

really though, my guess is that the physical connection between the actuator and the latch (a pot metal attachment that is common to break) is almost gone

I HIGHLY suggest not closing the upper tailgate until you fix it - the repair is hell if the top does not open, much easier if you do it while you can have access
search for the solution on the forums - I also HIGHLY recommend you add a manual release to future-proof another problem if the actuator fails

plenty of posts about it - one of those "do it before it is too late" things.

I had to repair mine the hard way because I waited, but was able to "fix" the attachment piece ($0 spent) and add the manual release using a bike cable
some people just buy a new actuator though to not have to think up a "fix"

Last edited by douglastic; 12-09-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

I like the idea of a manual release, will take a look thx

Old 12-10-2021, 03:37 PM
Mudding
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

There’s an Italian company making ready kits with all included if you don’t want to reinvent the wheel. I’ve got one of them in D3 as a manual upper tail gate release. The company’s web site is at https://www.landroverpassion​​​.com and they make all kinds of other interesting kit for LR vehicles, too. See below for a few installation images.

Last edited by kajtzu; 12-10-2021 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
douglastic (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

That looks pretty sharp. Did you install that yourself? Wondering how easy it is to DIY; looks like something I'd mess up, particularly the carpet.

Last edited by houm_wa; 12-10-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:30 PM
5th Gear

I have the same LRP manual release kit as kajtzu mentioned. Very pleased with the quality of the parts and the instructions. I thought the price was reasonable too, even with shipping to the U.S. See the PDF link here for install instructions: https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/...iscovery-l319/.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

It is relatively easy to install and the instructions are well made and in color. If you can follow them and are able to hold a dremel in your hand it’s pretty easy. I do have to admit that I almost f…ed up the carpet but it was my own stupidity for not watching what I was doing with the dremel and let it kind of run away from me. Fortunately the surrounding around the latch hides it completely.

I know people do similar ones completely DIY starting with sourcing and designing but I felt like I’d rather have a nice looking thing that looks like it’s part of the vehicle. On FB there was a mile long list of comments like “bruh that’s so expensive for such a small part” and “I can build one myself”. That’s great, not everyone can or bother.

My day job has nothing to do with vehicles, this more of a hobby and way to went stress (or whatever). I looked through the instructions first, before ordering, and decided I was comfortable with steps. Besides, if you mess up the only person you can blame is yourself - part of the learning experience 😂👀

Last edited by kajtzu; 12-11-2021 at 08:24 AM.
houm_wa (12-11-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:26 AM
Winching
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I installed the Land Rover Passion release also. Very happy with it and helped a lot while diagnosing my issue with the tailgate release.

As far as Dongal64's issue. It sounds like the actuator is fine since it gets the electrical signal and pulls the cable. I think the switch in the upper tailgate may be bad. You can remove the trim and check continuity with a multimeter by unplugging the electrical connector going to the switch.

There is a small issue you may be overlooking while pressing the unlock and lock buttons. After 3 seconds it will send the signal to the upper tailgate release actuator. But it also locks the doors. After you hear the actuator release, then stop holding down both buttons and then press the unlock button. You should then be able to open the tailgate without having a friend lifting up the tailgate.

houm_wa (12-13-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 07:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info to a problem I once had and seems to have reappeared last night..: (
Very concerned we need that back to open