LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another set of eyes?… engine bay Renology DC2DC install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 03:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another set of eyes?… engine bay Renology DC2DC install.

I’ve begun the electric systems set up of my LR3 to get a secondary battery (Lithium Ion) in the back for a separate system to power camping goodness. Now that I’m over the hump for the main charger install, I was hoping to get a second set of eyes (or more) to check my work.

I’ve run main cables to the positive and negative of the starter battery to the Renology, and also wired up the other needed parts. I haven’t connected the solar input yet but will once Amazon shows up with my connectors. Anything glaringly bad this far?

I’ve run the secondary battery line as well as the Ethernet monitor line through the firewall hole that Land Rover graciously left for us by the brake booster/power steering (with a rubber grommet).

the extra battery connections you see are for the winch.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:31 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing super obvious to me. Just curious, have you thought of keeping the starter battery on it's own and using a 100W solar panel in place of the second battery? That's usually the route I go. I understand the power of the winch, but if the vehicle is running it wouldn't matter. I would assume you want to be able to power in the winch in the event the engine cuts out?

Old 09-19-2022, 05:18 PM
4wd Low

I’m really just powering a fridge and lights as well as some fans from the secondary battery. I want the ability for it to be charged with solar or alternator and this charger gave me that option. The solar panel is installed, just need to hook it up. I’m not sure I can power the winch without the engine… but might be a good test.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 740 Likes on 622 Posts

I use common grounds to save on wire myself, but it looks okay. If those circuit breakers are not a quality name brand, toss em. They are junk and will maintain a connection even when they should not. This has been demonstrated often, they basically fail easily in a closed state. And does the Renogy really only pull up to 40amp max?

Old 09-19-2022, 07:44 PM
4wd Low

It’s the Renogy 30amp dc2dc charger and it recommended a 45 amp fuse/breaker. These are from Amazon and we’re recommended, but that doesn’t mean they are of quality - any recommendations on what to use?

Old 09-19-2022, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 740 Likes on 622 Posts

Bussmann or such. Blue Sea Systems may also make breakers, those would be good. (link is just an example)
Amazon Amazon

And video that talks about the issue.
There is a FB page called Campervan Electrics where this is brought up often enough. Good quality breakers cost more, but it could save you from a burnt out wreck.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:09 AM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Other than what has been said about the breakers, it looks good. Seems to be wired up right. Nice job on wire routing.

How long have you been running the AntiGravity battery? and what kind of weather? I talked to them last year and they said the engine compartment of the LR3 was too hot and did not recommend it. I did put one in my Mini CooperS since the battery is in the trunk (boot?) and I am very happy with it since that one does not move except some weekends. I know it is backwards I drive the SUV as a daily driver and have a little car for a weekend toy.

Anyway, a report about the AntiGravity battery would be most helpful for me.

Jeff

Old 09-23-2022, 11:37 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I use common grounds to save on wire myself, but it looks okay. If those circuit breakers are not a quality name brand, toss em. They are junk and will maintain a connection even when they should not. This has been demonstrated often, they basically fail easily in a closed state. And does the Renogy really only pull up to 40amp max?
I def. agree w/ that. Even renogy branded product. They've done a good job at creating a name here in the US but I personally don't trust them.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:59 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
Other than what has been said about the breakers, it looks good. Seems to be wired up right. Nice job on wire routing.

How long have you been running the AntiGravity battery? and what kind of weather? I talked to them last year and they said the engine compartment of the LR3 was too hot and did not recommend it. I did put one in my Mini CooperS since the battery is in the trunk (boot?) and I am very happy with it since that one does not move except some weekends. I know it is backwards I drive the SUV as a daily driver and have a little car for a weekend toy.

Anyway, a report about the AntiGravity battery would be most helpful for me.

Jeff
The antigravity battery has been amazing, no problems what so ever. It cranks this thing over fast and has ample power for leaving the accessories on for hours or more. I’ve spoken with their support about it and they think it’s okay in the battery box, it also doesn’t seem to get too hot (Renogy reports temperatures and they never seem to go high, but I’ll keep my eye on it. I have about 5k miles since I installed this battery and it’s really taken a worry away since it can jump itself. I highly recommend them, although they are worth as much as the car… ;-)

Old 11-20-2022, 07:41 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by awizemann
The antigravity battery has been amazing, no problems what so ever. It cranks this thing over fast and has ample power for leaving the accessories on for hours or more. I’ve spoken with their support about it and they think it’s okay in the battery box, it also doesn’t seem to get too hot (Renogy reports temperatures and they never seem to go high, but I’ll keep my eye on it. I have about 5k miles since I installed this battery and it’s really taken a worry away since it can jump itself. I highly recommend them, although they are worth as much as the car… ;-)
I decided to give antigravity battery a try (sort of). The battery installed in my 2003 MINI Cooper S is from 2014. I think the only reason it lasted this long is based upon the fact it only has 96,000 miles in 19 years, so a lot of garage time I suppose. Anyway I bought one for the MINI. I will see how it works and may make the change when my AGMs in the Rover die.

I have an H7 and an H5 connected with a 160 amp Traxide kit, so it would set me back more than $1900 to replace them both. BUT I get about 2 years from my AGMs here in the Texas heat, so IF I can get 9 years as advertised, it starts to look worth it. Oh, I also got the Cascadia 4X4 panel hooked up to the AUX battery after letting it sit in my garage for a month waiting for a good day to install. Last week in the heat of the afternoon, the AUX battery read 14.1 volts and the Main battery showed 13.9 volts so it seems to be working.

Again let me know how the Antigravity tolerates the heat over time.