LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any cold weather/snow tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any cold weather/snow tips?

This is my first winter with my LR3 as I got it at the end of march last year.

Also, with the big storm that just went through the US, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

My truck has the all weather package, so I was excited to use the heated windshield. How effective is it? I have nothing to compare it too, but it seems like the defroster actually is melting the frost and not the heating filaments. When I touch the windshield, it doesn't even feel warm to the touch. Is it faulty?

Second, I live in Buffalo NY so we get that heavy lake effect snow, our area received about 2 feet of snow in one day. As I was driving for lunch and home from work, I turned on the terrain response grass/gravel/snow. Is this the right application for it? At that time, the snow was deeply rutted and packed on the roads before the plows got to it. Or is this setting for while you're driving through a forest that has snow?

I did some searching around for the use of this and couldn't find anything definitive.

Also, this morning, first time starting the truck in about 18 degree F weather, my truck took a couple seconds to start up. Is that normal behavior in the cold?

- Braxo

Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in DEEP SNOW I use mud ruts and turn off the dsc. the heated windshield is awesome you wont even use the defroster. What tires do you have? What year? I have not noticed any slower start issues unless it is sub zero, 18 is not that cold. The computer check is a little sloew in the cold but the starter starts the same. May want to check the battery.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
4wd Low

My truck also seems to struggle to start in cold weather, and i mean 30 degrees... not even that cold.. its odd.. and my check engine light comes on... then a couple days later goes away.. and is back to visit every other day. LOL

Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Mudding

Braxo,

Have the dealer check the windshield elements. It should work like a charm, especially for fogging. I have had the windshield replaced due to faulty heated windshield, and it is a documented occasional problem.