LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with LR3 with 150,000+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone with LR3 with 150,000+ miles?

Just wondering how these cars hold up when they get some miles on them.

I plan on keeping mine to 200k its got 89k on it now.

Things ive done
- Replaced both front control arms
- Battery
- tires
- oil every 5k
- new plugs (this week)
- front and rear diff oil
- Transfer case oil (next week)
- New air compressor for suspension
- might need new alternator, red battery light still on.

Transmission fluid - called my dealer and they said they never change it, its best to leave it be as can open a can of worms trying to change the sealed units fluid.

I got quoted 500.00 for 8 new spark plugs. That seems a bit steep. Dealer said they 20.00 per plug + labor.

I got 8 for 82.00 and they factory NGK not champions.

Last edited by RAJOD; 05-09-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Transmission fluid should be changed now. Do not take your dealers word for anything. Go to a ZF transmission shop.

I have 146k on the clock.

I'm just now replacing all the hoses, misc sensors, pulled the valve covers to reseal it, water pump, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by unseenone
Transmission fluid should be changed now. Do not take your dealers word for anything. Go to a ZF transmission shop.
Yea I called LR and they said "Don't touch the tranny fluid as it causes more issues than if you leave it alone"

What is a ZF shop?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling

OMG I just saw a video of what changing the tranny fluid entails.

4 hour job if you have done a few before.

I see so many areas that this can go wrong. This was not well engineered at all.

Has anyone made a drain plug for the tranny? Once its off you could machine a plug with threads and gasket someplace where you could get a wrench on it. Then would be ez to just suck out the old fluid and pump new in.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There are better strategies for doing the job, like switching to a metal pan, then you do not have to unbolt & lift, etc. LR is dead wrong on this one. This is an often debated topic, but ZF who manufactures the transmission has stated that the fluid is rated for 75k. They recommend, if I recall correctly, 75k first change and 65k after the first one.

A ZF authorized transmission repair shop, let me know where you are located if you need help finding one. I'm sure others can provided some info for you as well.

The following users liked this post:
RAJOD (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sure, I have over 150K

The rig I just purchased has 161K on the clock.

Other than my motor issue which I firmly believer could have / should have been avoided by the PO, I know I hold onto mine until either it is destroyed by an act of God or it is unsalvageable due to rust.
The PO recently replaced the air bags at all four corners and I just put a new battery in her.
I purchased my 2001 RR with 101K on the clock and we drove that everywhere for years. It had over 165 on it when we sold it.

Best of luck...

Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've got over 150,000 on my current one, but it's in the shop getting an engine (I don't think it was well maintained) and my previous one had almost 200,000 when I sold it, and my friend is still driving it, but it needed head gaskets recently according to him (probably ran low on coolant due to a water pump leak).

Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, yes I would like to know what shop could change it. I am in Michigan.

So for the first change there would have to do what they did in the video just to get that plastic pan out. Then you are suggesting to get rid of that pan and get a metal one?

Wonder how much this job costs?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You could probably get away with just a drain and fill if you do it regularly. Or find a shop that's got a BG tranny flush machine (it doesn't really flush, it just pumps new fluid in as the pumps the old fluid out) and they can swap ALL of the fluid out via the cooler lines.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jafir
You could probably get away with just a drain and fill if you do it regularly. Or find a shop that's got a BG tranny flush machine (it doesn't really flush, it just pumps new fluid in as the pumps the old fluid out) and they can swap ALL of the fluid out via the cooler lines.
So if I find a place that has a flush machine. Do I still need to buy my own fluid and give to them to use? Some places just put any old brand in.

Quick Reply: Anyone with LR3 with 150,000+ miles?