LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Latch - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pictures don't work, its the cable latch assembly that needs to be tightened to open up. take the two flatscrewdrivers and pry out the carpeted part from the plastic and tear out the water shedder and grab the cable with a pair of long nose pliers and twist them around until they are tight then take another set of pliers and grab the end closer to the latch and start to yank on that. the tension with the first set will give the second set the chance to pull the latch. takes less then five minutes.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having troubles viewing the pictures for the rear latch fix.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:48 PM
3rd Gear

in case anyone is looking for pictures. here are mine when i did this. the last one shows my solution

http://picasaweb.google.com/quinton....eat=directlink

Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 AM
4th Gear

The above pictures say it all ... crimp on a piece of stainless steel cable and you wont have any more problems ... I did it to my 07 a few years back - goodbye tailgate failures !!!
Still can't see why Landrover didn't fit a better piece in the first place ... ah well that's Landrovers for you - "quirky"

Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM
3rd Gear

Good Morning,

I'd appreciate detailed instructions on fixing failed rear latch.

Thank you,

Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM
7th Gear
Default Rear Tailgate Latch

To: Mi05LR3
Take a look at my detailed instructions on page 6 of this forum. When my latch broke I talked with an independent Land Rover shop and a technician at a Land Rover Center. While others in this forum may have other solutions this is the detailed solution I was given when the latch has failed and you cannot open the tailgate from the outside. Adding a crimped piece onto the cable is a good option but if the cable itself cheap in comparison to the carpeted tailgate piece.
Best Wishes,
BMoreyLR3

Old 10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you,

I used two knives and was able to remove carpet without breaking trim. I tried twisting the cable, but eventually gave up as I was not having much success; i cut the cable casing as suggested by bmoreylr3 and that released easily.

I tried the crimp approach. Tested it several times before i reassembled. Worked a few times but failed again. I think that it failed because i did not properly crimp; i used a 3/32" ferrule that i cut in half to slide the three wires into and used pliers. I struggled getting the ferrule to hold but thought i had it. Any suggestions on alternate material/device than ferrule? I should probably also get my hands on a crimper to get proper compression of ferrule.

LESSON: Properly crimp!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

17th_letter

what did you use in lieu of ferrule....is that a piece of scrap copper? I tried using ferrule, but cut it in half. The cavity on ferrule was to tight for me to properly compress.

thank you

Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 AM
3rd Gear
Default back door

2001 Landrover Discovery 2 went to open door pilled handel handle stuck no open now that its finally cool enough to crawl threw the back im going to have some fun we shall see if i can fix like shown in photos i seen on here a while back basic the same type of situation wish me luck fellers hug ur land rovers almost like having a kid always fun but the like to get into s#%&!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear

How do I see the pics. The file name is not hypelinked?

Quick Reply: Back Latch - Help!