LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Steering Gear or PwrSteering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Steering Gear or PwrSteering Pump?

So I got my truck back after a ridiculous ordeal with a body shop and a Land Rover specialty shop (after a t-bone collision), and I replaced my air suspension compressor that was "not related to the car accident" (BS). Also, the Land Rover shop tells me that the steering gear is going bad and has worn rod ends (comes with new steering gear). They also said this is "not related to the car accident". I don't know, I'll post a video of the accident, and you tell me what you think or if I should take it to another shop? I got t-boned, and the truck spin sideways. I can certainly see it being related to the accident, especially because I had no issues before the accident. I just really don't have the time to drop it off at all of these places. I am an extremely busy student, and I am preparing to go on a summer long expedition, and then I plan to drive 3000 miles from Anchorage, AK to Seattle, WA (for a move). I drove it last year, and the truck was amazing, but after this accident, everything has gone to crap. I just want to be able to get the truck down to Seattle atthe end of the summer. I don't care about it then. Seattle's public transit is superb. I can work on the truck and replace what is needed myself, when need be.

For those of you reading this, do you think that the steering gear is going bad? Or is there a correlation to "over-filling" the power steering reservoir. It was low in the winter, so I topped it off. Now is it reading high. But the power steering pump could also be another explanation? After the accident, the truck's power steering fails at low speed, like turning to park in parking lots, almost every single time. With power, the truck is usually fine. It makes a moderately loud

whining sound every time you turn the vehicle. At first, I thought I just had a leak or something, and I didn't think much of the sound because it is a 2006 vehicle (and also trucks make a lot of sounds), but now that the shop told me a $3000 part is going bad, I'm concerned it won't make it to Seattle. Other than this steering issue, the truck is in immaculate condition for being 13 years old.

I have briefly looked online, and I see I can get a steering gear for an LR3 at around $400-500. Does that sound right? I think the Seattle dealer quote $1900 for the part. I don't mind putting in anything aftermarket as long as the truck can last another few years, then I'll have my PhD, and I won't care about transportation. I have worked on $300 million airplanes in the military, and I take working on my car as a challenge. I maintained an e90 3 series BMW for a few years, and that was kind of fun, however obnoxious their valve cover gasket design is. This truck is a bit beefier though. How big of a job is a steering gear? or if it is not the steering gear, could the pump be an issue, and what cost and parts am I looking at doing it DIY? I am having a hard time finding anything about this online. When I google "lr3 steering gear" it just comes up with "rack and pinion" stuff. Is that the part? I am kind of clueless when it comes to suspension because my specialty is in electrical work.

Last edited by Charliegeosci; 03-20-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: pics in the way
Old 03-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Default youtube

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6z...ature=youtu.be
I couldn't get it to upload the normal way, so I put it on youtube

Last edited by Charliegeosci; 03-20-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

If you got hit on the side like that then I doubt any issues are related to the accident, especially being on snow where there is a lot less lateral stress.

And wow, that drive did not even try to stop for the intersection, only when they spotted you do you see their front dip. Idiots.

Anyway, did you ever replace the steering shaft/joint? That part is known to dry out, wear out and cause all sorts of issues. Its really noticeable at low speeds. This was one of the first things I fixed. Also when looking into my issues I *think* I came across another post about a screen that can clog up, I think related to the variable speed steering. But I was reading so much, I may be wrong about that. A video of the noise would be nice. If you have to replace the steering rack, I would not hesitate to get a rebuilt unit from a place like RockAuto or such.

Your air compressor is on the other side and would not have been harmed in the impact. All the airlines are on the other side as well.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling

I have not looked into the steering shaft/joint. I have not touched the suspension on this car because it has been working impeccably before the air compressor.

Yes, low speed is an obvious issue. Do you have a guide or LR pdf about it? I love those.

I did come across an article about a clogged screen, but I am not sure where that is located or how to access it. again, any guides?

Yes, I understand the air compressor issue, but I had this crap shop try to tell me I had aftermarket parts installed and incorrectly wired pump and yada, yada. I took it to a Land Rover place, and they said they fed me a bunch of crap. the compressor just went bad.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Here is my thread with a couple tips. A simple search will being up others that have done it. Its not difficult, I did not even pull any wheels to get to it. In the mean time, try lubricating it and see if there is any change at all. If there is, then there is a good chance this is your issue.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...g-shaft-88589/

I dont have anything handy on the screen.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Three Wheeling

wow, thanks. RockAuto is an amazing website. its very similar to realoem.com for bmw. I still do not see the "steering gear" or whatnot part the shop is referring to

Old 03-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Camel Trophy

There is no "steering gear" per say. You have the schist and the steering rack (rack an pinion). Then outboard you have your tie-rod sets. If you replace the rack, put new tie-rod sets. Buying them as complete is cheaper than the bits.

I really wish we had something like RealOEM for Rover. I use that so much for my old 7 series.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Three Wheeling

is the steering shaft the same things as drive shaft?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Camel Trophy

(face palm) - I hope not.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:36 PM
Three Wheeling

This?

Quick Reply: Bad Steering Gear or PwrSteering Pump?