LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Steering Gear or PwrSteering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Yes, thats the part you may need. Lubricate yours first to see if there is a change. You can do so form within the engine bay. May help to move one heat shield, I forget.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

You can always get a used part. Abran has lots of parts for sale. Check out car-parts.com. Spell it correctly. Lots of parts for sale at reasonable prices. Phil

Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Yes, thats the part you may need. Lubricate yours first to see if there is a change. You can do so form within the engine bay. May help to move one heat shield, I forget.
yup, that's what worked for me.

steering was notchy and not returning to normal easily. was able to reach the "mid" knuckle by the driver's side firewall from the engine bay without taking anything off. Took WD-40 with the straw and sprayed the **** out of it...got in the truck and worked the steering side to side...got out and sprayed it again...got in and worked the steering 1 more time.

that solved it. since then its been 6+ months of normal steering

Old 03-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
youre a boss. It totally worked. I sprayed wd40 on there and drive it around once. It was noticeably better. I then sprayed some white lithium grease in there. Better still. I actually took off the plastic heat shield and held up the the rubber flap at the base of the shaft and sprayed the crap out of it with the lithium grease. This time I let the grease soak in while I put the truck back together and installed the roof rack for the summer. I just drove it to get food, and it’s working pretty well. I think I’m sat at the mechanic’s shop for so long in our very wet Alaskan weather and rust certainly seized it up. It will probably get better as I keep driving. I’ll lget a new one if needed. It still has a little strain when I get all the way to the stop in either direction but I think that’s just because it’s old + ridicule rust. It still makes the whining sound, so it could be the pump. I’ll post the sound clip in a second. Thanks again!!

Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the sound of the wheel turning. this was before I spray lubricant on it though. It still makes this sound often when turning but its not nearly as difficult to turn the wheel now.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Okay, you probably have two issues. You have a worm steering shaft, that we know for a fact. The lubrication is just a temporary measure so I would plan on replacing it soon.

The sounds is certainly seems like a power steering groan, typical when there is air trapped in there. You need to clean and then inspect for any possible leaks. I have seem where a small hole on the inlet side of the system can draw in air but not leak much because there is no pressure, only suction. Think of it like a drinking straw with a tiny hole. And did it do this before you topped it off? The fact that is was low sorta hints at a leak. And what was the exact fluid you used?