LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery light, 2005 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for following up. Glad it solved the problem.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the problem seemed to be okay last night after I changed the battery. This morning I started my truck and guess who came back to torment me again? That bastard little light again!!! WTF?! Is it just me or are LR's the only vehicles that when you change the 2 most vital parts of the charging system (battery and alternator) that there remains a problem still? I'm about to lose my mind with this thing. What could the problem be now? I'm hoping to be able to figure this out without going to LR and getting raped by them for getting a diagnostic check done on it. Are diagnostic checks free? Is there a chance that the alternator I got was messed up? I'm at my wits end here fellas. Help me resist the urge to want to take a sledgehammer to this thing, LOL!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible that the alternator is a lemon, can you get the fault code?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CopperMtnGuy
It's possible that the alternator is a lemon, can you get the fault code?
Seconded. Alternators are really finicky beasts on pretty much anything built from the late 90s on, especially Land Rovers with their considerable electronics. Slight ripple currents and other noise can play havoc. The only aftermarket alternators I've had any luck with are Napa's top of the line, but in this case would recommend the factory part.

http://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite...rviceParts.htm

Dave

Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Location: Mid-Alantic State, Tidewater Area - Chesapeake, VA.

I've also bought a brand new BAD battery, twice before. Did the store put it on a charger before you left out with it?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Drifting

The alternator is a factory one i got from the dealer. No, they didn't, but i tested my battery with a multilmeter before I installed it, it was good to go. I let my truck run for about 20 mins and no issues, I went to work this morning and as soon as i put the truck into gear, the battery light came on again. Do you think the dealer will get me another alternator without paying for another one if the one i bought from them was bad and brought them this one back? Also, do fault codes pop up in the message center on the dash or do i need to hook it up to a diag machine to get them? All i am getting is the battery light and stereo says "low power mode" everytime i try to turn the stereo up past 20, like it does when i just have the power on listening to music w/out it running. If it does let me turn it up past 20, it drops it to 20 randomly and says "low power mode" again. I'm really getting frustrated with this thing and would like this problem to go away before i sink anymore money into the damn thing unless i absolutely have to. Someone else told me once that there is something in the ignition system that is tied into the charging system also. Is this right? It doesn't make much sense to me if it is. Lat time I checked, the battery and alternator were to two big boys of the charging system. I dunno, I am really tempted to trade this thing for something with half as much electrical stuff in it, this is ridiculous. I never had this problem with american made vehicles. You'd think that with a company like LR and there quality of vehicles, that they'd have better parts, or at least identify problems with the faulty ones such as the alternators and fix the problem. Surely they are losing money by changing out bad alternators all the time. I dunno, that's just my thought on that matter.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Drifting

Or do you think that I just have bad luck and got a bad alternator and battery at the same time? It can't possibly be that much of a coincidence. I'm starting to think that there is something else wrong with this thing. Ideas?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Mudding

If you have the receipt, they should exchange it with no problems. As for it being a coincidence, stranger things have happened.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

bring it to the dealer. They will warrantee the part if they feel it is bad. I doubt you did anything wrong but talk to the service advisor about it.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Drifting

I'm taking it to another shop to have them troubleshoot the charging system before I let LR charge me a fortune. If I get confirmation from this other shop (that specializes on imports) that the alternator is bad, I will take that to the dealer to get another alternator. They were giving me the runaround today, talking that maybe the alternator isn't the problem and wanting to run a full system check to look for other causes. The dealer here is pretty shady and I don't really like working with them unless I have to. When I get the word that the alt is bad, I will take that to them and prove to them that it is the problem. I'm almost certain that is the problem, after I installed the one I got from LR, the batt light came on immediately and is always on now and it's always in "low power mode" I can't think of what else could be causing the problem. The alternator IS the charging system, I can't figure why they (LR)would think something else is wrong with it when they know that the alternators are known to be faulty often. Im just getting tired of this crap and want it fixed before I pay a small fortune to do so.

Quick Reply: Battery light, 2005 LR3