LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest and Best Off Road Tires for LR3

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I've been very happy with my 32" Goodyear MT/Rs (original tread pattern). I will likely replace them in a few years with the Kevlar version of the same tire. I'm a bit distraught that in that size the MT/Rs with Kevlar only come in Load Rating C and not E like my current MT/Rs. I'm hoping that Goodyear rectifies this. I'm not sure how important it is but the LR3 is around 6000 lbs when off-road (with gear and such) so I'd think the Load Rating is pretty crucial. I'm not sure why Goodyear would make a tire of this variety in a Load Rating of C.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 2017 Bump... Tire Hunting

I'd like to bump this thread because I'm currently in the market for some new tires. Anyone running the new A/T KO 2's from BFG?

The 265/60R18 size seems like it would be a good option on a stock '08 LR3?

Thoughts/suggestions? I'm leery of adding rods to my LR3 because it seems to be a highly debated topic.

Curious what seems to be the most popular tire for stock LR3's.

Cheers,

Jared

The following users liked this post:
edhammond (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Camel Trophy

Jared if you're not going off-road and don't need the extra size then yeah I'd agree to keep it closer to stock and the BFGs should be perfect. If you do want to go bigger, there are non-road alternatives to getting that extra clearance.

I use the IIDTool and have a higher setting. I run around (on 32s) at stock height until I am on the trailhead, then I set it to my higher setting. Done and done.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
7th Gear

I definitely plan on off-roading, but not the hard-core/rock-crawling/water fall climbing variety that I used to do with my FJ.

Would you happen to have a good link for the IIDTool that you mentioned? What are some of the other benefits of this tool?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't know who sells it these days, but here is the website:

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/

Seems like it can do "everything." Read codes, clear codes, update software, interface with EAS, calibrate EAS.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply! I just took a look at that link... I like the one with the bluetooth option. With that said, is it pretty easy to set up the off-road options that you mentioned? Any drawbacks to using a tool like this and changing the height settings?

Curious, what size and brand of tire do you use with this tool?

At stock height, do you ever have any rubbing issues around town with your tires? Any speedometer issues with the larger tire size?

Sorry for all the questions, just highly interested in this option.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Camel Trophy

When I bought it the BT option didn't exist; it looks like the way to go. I don't see any drawbacks to using this, in fact I think it's the optimum way to go because you can easily change heights and run stock in town. No, I don't rub around town but I stay out of Access mode, too.

It's fairly easy to set up the other configs. 30 minutes tops...then after that you save them and it takes 2 minutes to go in/out. There may be speedo issues but I haven't cared enough to check.

I run 275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs (old version) off-road. Between October and March I run stock sized Nokian Hakkas on my 19s.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I run 32" KO2s and love them. They seem to have great grip off road and have fantastic on-road manners as well. Almost no noise at all on the pavement. I wasn't a big fan of my General Grabber AT2s that I had before, but the KO2s are still fairly new, so time will tell what they're like once they get worn.

I do get some rubbing, but it's fairly minor. I did the rear heater hose relocation that is talked about everywhere and the wiring adjustment in the front driver's side wheel well. Definitely worthwhile. Although it's only 2" additional diameter and 1" of additional ground clearance, I think that just the tire size alone has made a substantial difference offroad. Of course, it's also made a substantial difference in terms of fuel economy and a bit of difference in performance as well (negative in both respects of course), but I absolutely would not go back.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Concur. The tire size means more than just ground clearance...it's a bigger "bite" on obstacles and of course more sidewall. I forget how much better the LR3 handles (on road) with stock tires until I put the Nokians back on. The delta cuts both ways...bigger tires WAY better off-road and stock size tires proportionally better on-road.

The KO2s are the all terrains, right? I lost track with the change in naming convention.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
7th Gear
Thumbs up Gracias

Originally Posted by houm_wa
The KO2s are the all terrains, right? I lost track with the change in naming convention.
Correct, the KO2's are the new version of the All-Terrain TA/KO that BFG has had for ever. They added a lot of tread to the sidewall to make them look more aggressive. Basically still the same tread pattern on the rest of the tire. Pretty cool looking tire.

I think I will go with the BFG and keep it pretty close to stock. I'm still going to pick up a IIDTool BT as well though. Sounds like it has some good uses and a little more clearance never hurt anyone.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Quick Reply: Biggest and Best Off Road Tires for LR3