LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board air compressor LR3

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014 | 12:48 AM
Camel Trophy

That's true...they sell compressors that come in handy little bags too...doesn't have to be a permanent mount/solution.

Old 02-12-2014 | 07:35 AM
EAS
|
4wd Low

I'd like to be able to use an impact wrench. Unfortunately the portables don't have the capacity to do that.

Old 02-12-2014 | 10:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Default petite ARB compressor

ARB makes a real small compressor that the guys in Australia install in their 3's and 4's right near the washer fluid tank - in that empty area.

It is called the CKMA12 Hi-Output On-Board Air Compressor

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Air Compressor (CKMA12)

-- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

A potential tank location is what I call "on the other frame rail". Guys have purchased an air tank from a wrecked 3 and then with great difficulty regarding brackets, attached the tank mirror like to the right inside frame member. It works pretty good.

Some have even tied the factory left tank to the new right tank, but the concept of routinely using "expensive" 200 psig dried air to fill a tyre may be the best idea.

Old 02-12-2014 | 11:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EAS
I'd like to be able to use an impact wrench. Unfortunately the portables don't have the capacity to do that.
says who? My Viar will. You have to use a reservoir tank but you can do that portable also.

Old 02-13-2014 | 08:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Why not a Power Tank?

Old 02-13-2014 | 11:04 AM
EAS
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by bbyer
ARB makes a real small compressor that the guys in Australia install in their 3's and 4's right near the washer fluid tank - in that empty area.

It is called the CKMA12 Hi-Output On-Board Air Compressor

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Air Compressor (CKMA12)

-- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

A potential tank location is what I call "on the other frame rail". Guys have purchased an air tank from a wrecked 3 and then with great difficulty regarding brackets, attached the tank mirror like to the right inside frame member. It works pretty good.

Some have even tied the factory left tank to the new right tank, but the concept of routinely using "expensive" 200 psig dried air to fill a tyre may be the best idea.
Much appreciated suggestions!

After I saw your post I called ARB. Their technician said that the Hi-Output On-Board Air Compressor would do "in a pinch" for operating an impact wrench. He elaborated that it would pull a couple of lugs, need to be recharged, and then pull another couple of lugs. As often as I might use it, this seems the simplest and least expensive option.

My mechanic suggested the "other frame rail" plan. Initially that had little appeal simply because the fittings seemed to be cobbled together and I wondered if the 5 gallon capacity may stress the compressors designed to be used with a 2.5 gallon tank, but, as I find no "perfect" off-the-shelf options, the "other frame rail" plan is growing on me.

Originally Posted by jerdog53
Why not a Power Tank?

I worry about recharging the tank in rural Mexico.

Last edited by EAS; 02-13-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2014 | 11:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Default link to air compressor install

This is a link to the ARB compressor install in an Australian 3 or 4.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - ARB's Latest Model Under Bonnet Air Compressor fitted

Tonight I am going to see if I can find the link on installing the frame rail tank.

Old 02-13-2014 | 12:30 PM
EAS
|
4wd Low

I bought the Hi-Output On-Board Air Compressor and will supplement it with a Makita Impact Wrench.

Thanks Gents for all your help! I will show the installation link to my mechanic.

The next project will be the ARB bumper, WARN winch, and LED driving lights, so now I need to research LED driving lights :-)

Last edited by EAS; 02-13-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2014 | 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you are putting on an ARB bumper and winch, I suspect it would support the winch with the compressor... did I miss something.

Old 02-13-2014 | 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Frame Rail air tank install.

Air tank install, and I note the tank goes on the outside of the frame rail, not inside as I said previously.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - LR Airtank fitted for compressor install .

Quick Reply: On board air compressor LR3