LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake sensor - how do you know which caused the warning on dash???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake sensor - how do you know which caused the warning on dash???

I am just changinf all my brake pads on all wheels. I'm doing it cause the dash is giving me the annoying 'check pads' beeping and message every 30 seconds. I checked both the front and back and they all have at least 25% left but overall they look about the same amount left. I assume the front sensor is the one that caused the warning but how do I really know? I do not want to replace the front sensor if the rear sensor is the one that went off.

Is there any way to tell?

Thanks

Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished the pad replacement and I installed a new front sensor assuming that was the one. Sure enough the annoying warning is gone. When I took a closer look at the original front sensor and the new one, I see what makes it go off. Basically it has a small plastic grove sticking - once the pad gets to about 20% this grove will be flush with the pad an slow cause the plastic to wear as you apply brakes. ONce the plastic is gone, you see metal in the grove. I suspect once the plastic is worn away and the metal is present, the metal causes the sensor to go off.

I wonder if the sensor can be "repaired". I was thinking of adding some melted wax or something over the remaining metal grove to make it work again? What do you think.

Oh, I noticed on ebay that you can buy either front sensor or rear sensor but on the pictures they loook about the same. Is there any difference - can I use a rear sesnor for the front and vis versa?

Thanks