LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand / Model of original D2S Xenon Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Houm, good points. I suppose Im taking for granted 20/20 hindsight...I had no way of knowing and it could have played out differently: Id be crying that my $800 bulbs are dying from years of abuse/poor design.

Projection Xenon bulbs have been around for a long time now, but I still haven't seen a single one on the street burned out. Anyone else?? Ironically, I have seen a few Audi DRL LEDs out which should be even more reliable.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

They are certainly more common now than 10 years ago when I bought my LR3. I had some meetings with some Engineers at PACCAR (they make Peterbilt and Kenworth heavy trucks) and they'd been using Xenon for a while. I got some MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) data from them and based my usage on that.

They don't really "burn out." The anode or cathode fails from the arc cycling so many times.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...can't go strictly by years to determine life cycle. Some of us (like me) only fire up the Xenons when absolutely necessary, for this very reason. I worked in aircraft lighting for many years so I knew a few things about this technology...could be why I avoid using them AND avoid turning them on/off/on/off because the cycling is one of the arc lamp's failure modes.

So...idk...maybe you can make a loose correlation with age of vehicle, but not a strict one.
Oh of course - but as a general rule the graph is very telling and it was based on average use - so at 5 or 6 years it was mostly useless as a "premium" or "upgraded" light technology because it matched the output of halogen essentially. The vehicles still have good optics so many wouldn't really notice at first, especially because few of us bought them new and those who did saw a slow decline in output anyways.

..by 10 years though? That's another thing, and why I had to finally pull the trigger and swap mine even though they were perfectly reliable, no flicker, no color shift (well they were probably 5500k vs like 4500k but nothing insane purple like the old Acura 1st gen xenons hahaha) and 100% perfect start up every time.

They seem greenish white compared to before but that's just how they SHOULD have been. From the sides, the ellipsoids still make them appear blue/purple.

For $80 every 5 years it's a small price to pay for having a good looking lighting system. Not much beats a freshly waxed white Land Rover with those blueish purple xenon headlights.

Also, most of these OE manufacturers have hot-strike protection and I think it's mostly a myth from the early retrofit xenon kit days that you can significantly damage them by cycling them excessively - it shouldn't let you do that really.

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Nice rig.

I absolutely hate the auto headlight feature, and I despise the follow me home lights. I wish there was a way to deactivate them completely.
Haha this drove me INSANE! And while I'm not TOO overprotective of the xenons, I DONT want to re-ignite them for zero reason when I shut my car off, especially when they were on during the day.

If you shut your lights off BEFORE you turn the ignition off, it bypasses the "follow me home" feature. I usually run my parking lights (have the '14 LR4 LED blackout tail lights and LED front parking lights, so might as well run them) but even that triggers the follow me home BS and turns on the xenons!

Originally Posted by houm_wa
They don't really "burn out." The anode or cathode fails from the arc cycling so many times.
Kinda true but LONG before that the bulbs become virtually worthless through color shift and decreased output, especially with matched pairs of bulbs shifting and changing at different rates. I hardly EVER see an actual failure ie. like light OFF. It just looks like crap or becomes dim.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Agree: the "end of life" for the Xenon is ~70% of original Lumen output. "failure" is a burn-out at the anode or cathode. The loss of output is FAR more likely, as you state.