LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used LR3

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used LR3

Hey gang,

New to the forum, a lot of great stuff here. Just looking for some friendly advice. I found a used 05 LR3 SE for a great price and am going out to look at it this weekend. I have never owned a LR3 but have owned a couple Discos. Just wonder what I should investigate when I give it a once over. What are the common pain points? Air suspension? Head gaskets? The car has 55k miles on it and out of warranty so I just want to make sure I am not getting anything with a headache.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Alex

Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by azaky
Hey gang,

New to the forum, a lot of great stuff here. Just looking for some friendly advice. I found a used 05 LR3 SE for a great price and am going out to look at it this weekend. I have never owned a LR3 but have owned a couple Discos. Just wonder what I should investigate when I give it a once over. What are the common pain points? Air suspension? Head gaskets? The car has 55k miles on it and out of warranty so I just want to make sure I am not getting anything with a headache.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Alex
Alex, welcome and I hope to count you among the ranks of Land Rover owners. As this question is asked at least 1-2 times a month, gently, I ask that you please do a search or browse through the key topics for the past several weeks to find the answers you're looking for. If after that browsing you still have specific questions about pain points in a given area, such as the cost of replacing a suspension compressor and whether it's a DIY job, then I'm sure you'll find people willing to help.

Briefly, the LR3 is a more reliable vehicle than the Discovery engine and drivetrainwise. It has more potential for electrical problems and gremlins, but in general they seem to be running well for folks over the long haul with some 2005 models starting to reach the 150K mile range. Trouble spots include front A-arms that need replacing, and occasional suspension faults. Make sure the dealer records for maintenance show that any software updates have been made and all service performed per plan.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by geotrash; 08-27-2010 at 12:28 PM.