LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used LR3, any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used LR3, any advice??

Hello Everyone I am new to the forum and this site. It is great to talk with people though. I am a drummer and play at lots of places around town. I also love the look and the ride of the Land Rover LR3 having driven one last week. I have been to the dealer which is only a few miles from my house and they seem nice. My two choices would either have to be a Silver 05' LR3 with 77,000 miles used or a Black 06' LR3 with 36,000 miles, I have read some bad things about the recalls on here and the reliability but what should I do???????!!!!!!!!! Thank you all. Any info or thoughts would help.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM
4wd Low
Default RE: Buying used LR3, any advice??

i would look further than those two vehicles. I researched heavy for a long time before we purchases our 05 LR3.

If you get an 05 make sure the owner took it in for all of the updates and it has been serviced regularly. The warranty covers a lot of little things so having it has been a big plus for me since I am extremly picky.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Use Yahoo auto or any of the vehicle search engines available today and look beyond the obvious as Crwlr said. Here is what I wouldadvise. Buying a used LR3 can get very expensive without an extended warranty and extended warranties themselves are going through the roof. There is one reliable warranty company that still sells extended programs for Land Rovers at reasonable prices BUT the vehicle can not be over 36 months old and 36k miles. Ford ESP is the company. I got 100k mile for around 2k, bumper to bumper. So I'd advice to look carefully for an '06 with less than 36k miles. Sure you can save some money up front buying older and with more milage but trust me, it will catch up to you eventually in up-keep and repair costs. An 06 under 36k will also still be under factory warranty so you can have the peace of mind that any surprises will be fully covered up front 100%

Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

My best advice is to go to your closest centre. They will be super helpful and you'll get the best bang for your buck (so to speak). I have an 06 Lr3 and got it at the dealership and it was certified pre owned with only 23k. My warranty is extended to 75k. Honestly, so me you can't be that. It was also a great deal.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Overlanding

Get the '06 Black LR3. I did. It looks way better than any other colour.
Enjoy and welcome to team LR!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
SSS
6th Gear

If you aren't buying a certified pre-owned one from the dealership, then make sure you take it to an independent mechanic that really knows them... I just bought an 06 Black HSE a few months ago (sbest is right - it's gorgeous in black), but just spent $3500 on a new transfer case that if I had it looked over before I bought it would havae likely kept me shopping around (i bought it privately)... they are fantastic cars, and to find a great one you just have to do your homework. As for the extended warranties, mine wasn't worth the paper it was written on - so before you buy, research those as well...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Overlanding

I agree with the other posters and would stick to buying it from a dealership. I am sure it is tempting to go the private sale route because the price might be cheaper. The LR3 has so many electrical components that it would be too costly to repair if you had no warranty with the vehicle. I have a '05 Grey LR3 that i bought brand new when they first arrived. I have had a myriad of problems but they were all covered under warranty.

I would also say the grey looks a lot better as I have the ebony interior.