LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1A26-16 suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C1A26-16 suspension fault

We were traveling cross country to visit family when I started getting a suspension fault light. It would ding and warn me of a fault, then the light would go out and it’d repeat. Over and over and over. I pulled the codes and got 2 the first time and one that repeated. I’m away from home with limited time, but do have a warm shop to work in. A quick google search gave me no good answers, and a search here gave me nothing. The pump is a new HD long life Dunlop from Lucky 8, purchased about 2-3 months ago.

Any advice on where to start? We were traveling through lots of snow, so first course of action is to park it inside and thaw it out. I had hoped to spend this time installing my hidden winch, but that may have to wait 😕

Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Air spring air supply suggests a leak.

when you park overnight does it lose height?

i don’t have any experience with the other but possibly based on the snow. Hopefully somebody with experience can chime in.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
Air spring air supply suggests a leak.

when you park overnight does it lose height?

i don’t have any experience with the other but possibly based on the snow. Hopefully somebody with experience can chime in.
I don’t really lose height overnight, but the rear self levels frequently when I park so I’ve been suspicious.

The temperature based code is the only time me that returns now, and now that I’m thinking of it, when it was wigging out while driving it said the vehicle would rise when it cooled down.

Hopefully I find something out when I remove the cover tomorrow...

Last edited by m_lars; 03-12-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Mudding

Here's a long overdue follow up for those who find this thread looking for answers... I called Lucky8 about my issue and they sent me out a replacement compressor right away which fixed my issue. I read in another forum to test the resistance across the temp sensor and found I didn't get a reading across either sensor, my bad one or the new one.

Props to Eric at Lucky 8 for fabulous customer service! If you guys haven't done business with them yet I highly recommend them!

The following 2 users liked this post by m_lars:
bob.258 (03-23-2018), Boulderhead (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the follow up post, as I’m getting the same code consistently. Can you test resistance of the switch with the compressor in place, or did you need to pull it out? Maybe you can post a link to the other thread you referenced as well.

Just to clarify, the newest compressor you were sent did measure correctly before you installed it?

Old 04-29-2018, 06:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Morning, any insight on weather the temp sensor can be repaired / replaced on its own?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Boulderhead
Morning, any insight on weather the temp sensor can be repaired / replaced on its own?
It is my understanding that it is not replaceable. I was able to get my whole compressor warrantied so I didn’t dig too deep.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring short outside of the sensor

I had the same fault code, and measured 0.4 ohms at the temp sensor pins on the connector. That of course is out of range for the sensor and interpreted by the controller as a very high temperature. I ordered a replacement compressor assembly. Looking for a "keep it on the road" temporary fix I tried cutting the voltage input wire to the sensor. That gets you about 20-30 seconds of compressor operation before the controller notices that the temperature value is not changing, stops the compressor, and throws a code. That code does not latch however and you can get another 20-30 seconds by turning the ignition off and back on. Not a good plan in general but may be useful under certain circumstances.

When I removed the failed compressor I decided to inspect the temperature sensor. I cut the remaining wire from the connector, pulled them from the harness, and unscrewed the sensor itself. It is completely sealed in its own metal housing with a rubber boot around the wires. Upon removing the rubber boot and re-measuring the resistance I got a shock (no pun intended): no short. The boot is attached in a way that routes the wires over the metal collar and apparently that had worn through the wire insulation over time. I changed the routing through a newly-created hole in the top of the boot and now have a usable spare.

Seems like a good thing to have given the catastrophic suspension failure that follows when the sensor fails.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

This suspension failure doesn't seem catastrophic to me. As long as it can be cleared....you just clear it and then pull the EAS fuses to get yourself home.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
This suspension failure doesn't seem catastrophic to me. As long as it can be cleared....you just clear it and then pull the EAS fuses to get yourself home.
Well, yes, catastrophic may be a bit dramatic. However if you need a working compressor to get home you're out of luck. No combination of fault-clearing or fuse-pulling will get it working in this case.

Quick Reply: C1A26-16 suspension fault