LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'California Stop' hard shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 'California Stop' hard shift

So my transmission has that hard shift when you slow down to about 5mph but not stop and accelerate again. This seems like a common issue and it sounds like a software update will fix this? Anyone out there that can speak with more authority on this?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Shoot I had completely forgotten to ask my tech about this. From what I have seen here on the forums it's fairly common. Best remedy I've used in the meantime is to just delay putting your foot down for a second so that your transmission has more time to work with. I just started it as a habit and forgot about the issue.

I second that question, is there a software fix?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was provided a special firmware from the fantastic people at GAP Diagnostic to upload using my IID tool.

Below is a snippet from an email I sent back to the techs describing the change. It still does it if the conditions are just right, but it's much less than before.

I’m not certain how much of the improvement is simply due to resetting the transmission adaptation, but after driving the first night and next morning I can say it’s smooth as butter! The shifting is very smooth, and especially accelerating after an almost-stop is much improved. No more lurching forward.
Even accelerating from a dead stop is much smoother. The throttle response off the line seems to be controlling the transmission much better.
The power is there if I push the pedal harder whereas before it was almost too much when simply making a slow start from a stop light, etc.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by schwaggy
I was provided a special firmware from the fantastic people at GAP Diagnostic to upload using my IID tool.

Below is a snippet from an email I sent back to the techs describing the change. It still does it if the conditions are just right, but it's much less than before.

I’m not certain how much of the improvement is simply due to resetting the transmission adaptation, but after driving the first night and next morning I can say it’s smooth as butter! The shifting is very smooth, and especially accelerating after an almost-stop is much improved. No more lurching forward.
Even accelerating from a dead stop is much smoother. The throttle response off the line seems to be controlling the transmission much better.
The power is there if I push the pedal harder whereas before it was almost too much when simply making a slow start from a stop light, etc.
can you elaborate? do you need a gapID tool to implement?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DavC
can you elaborate? do you need a gapID tool to implement?
Yes. GAP Diagnostic loads a special firmware for the IID tool and then you update the LR3 with it.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by schwaggy
after driving the first night and next morning I can say it’s smooth as butter! The shifting is very smooth, and especially accelerating after an almost-stop is much improved. No more lurching forward.
They provided me with (what I assume is) the same update and I agree that the "california stop bug" is much improved. My shifting is much smoother too, but I don't know how much of that is due to the software update and how much is due to my having recently changed the transmission fluid. My only issue with the update was that it made the truck feel somewhat sluggish now. It never seems to want to downshift unless I mash the gas to the floor. Before, I could find that sweet spot where in the gas pedal travel where it would downshift for me. Now, it seems that I literally have to floor it most times to get it to shift down... otherwise, it just wants to hang onto the gear it's in.

Regardless, I think I'll stick with it and really do appreciate all the support that GAP gives their customers.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cmb6s
They provided me with (what I assume is) the same update and I agree that the "california stop bug" is much improved. My shifting is much smoother too, but I don't know how much of that is due to the software update and how much is due to my having recently changed the transmission fluid. My only issue with the update was that it made the truck feel somewhat sluggish now. It never seems to want to downshift unless I mash the gas to the floor. Before, I could find that sweet spot where in the gas pedal travel where it would downshift for me. Now, it seems that I literally have to floor it most times to get it to shift down... otherwise, it just wants to hang onto the gear it's in.

Regardless, I think I'll stick with it and really do appreciate all the support that GAP gives their customers.

I agree with everything you said. It's a trade off between the snappy old way, and the new kinda sluggish way. I find I'm in Sport Mode a lot more than I was. I had recently changed my transmission fluid as well, and then there's the fact that the adaptations are reset. This alone is probably why it seems so awesome at first, then changes.

GAP is awesome for helping out, that's for certain.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. Same thing with my LR3. Just have gotten used to it. Like someone said: feather the gas, give it half a second to catch up. IMO, nothing to throw money at.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I missed this thread and just posted about my experience with this and my solution. I have not tried the s/w update. But in my LR3 it was a transfer case issue and not a transmission issue. My post is here.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

It's funny that you mention this. I changed the fluid in my transfer case when I first got my truck and I don't remember having the "California Stop bug". However, it seems to have gotten progressively worse, though the update from Gap certainly helped the issue.

Fast forward 22,000 miles and I just changed my transfer case fluid again the other day. The old stuff was very very dark... burnt looking. I find that odd for such a short period of time in the transfer case. If anybody has any suggestions as to why that may be, please let me know. However, the point is that I went out for a couple of test drives afterwards and I'll be damned if the truck didn't feel like the stop bug was gone or at least vastly improved. I was going to give it some time and see if I might have been making myself believe it, but your post has me thinking it really did affect the issue.

Quick Reply: 'California Stop' hard shift