LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'California Stop' hard shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

Hmmm....I have 45k miles on my current T-Case fluid. I know the interval is 75k but maybe it's time for a change.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmb6s
It's funny that you mention this. I changed the fluid in my transfer case when I first got my truck and I don't remember having the "California Stop bug". However, it seems to have gotten progressively worse, though the update from Gap certainly helped the issue.
Yes. It wasn't subtle in my case. Terrible pause after apply throttle from a rolling stop and then a hard slamming. I can feather it or pause longer, but it's an unnatural and unpleasant way to drive (for me).

fwiw, I'd already had the trans software updated at the dealer last year. It may have helped - don't really recall. I now suspect that the long pause and slamming issue is always the t-case. Seems to be an easy fix.
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Hmmm....I have 45k miles on my current T-Case fluid. I know the interval is 75k but maybe it's time for a change.
Are you having the same issue? If not, I would at least check it. If yes, I would just change it or get it changed. My problem got progressively worse over the last year.

I'm likely going to change t-case ever 30-40K miles. May flush the trans at the same time. Also likely doing my diffs at 15K or 20K based on all the early diff deaths on LR3s. Not sure the fluid change will prevent this, but it certainly can only help.

After changing all my fluids I'd getting about 1 MPG better mileage. May be closer to 1.5. Based on the mechanic telling me the wrong fluid was in the t-case, I'm guessing most of this gain is coming from there.

And... the previous owner (or his mechanic) had apparently missed the 70K fluid changes. My poor truck...

Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm not having the issue, but my T-case fluid is not 45k miles old. Just seems like a good preventative action.

As for the diffs, I started a new thing (after going through a rear diff in ~ 18k miles) whereby I've been changing the rear diff fluid every 1000-1500 miles and inspecting the fluid and plug until both looked clear and sans shavings, respectively. I also changed the front diff fluid early to examine. At this point both have gotten passing grades and will go to a 15k mile interval.

I also had changed my rear drive shaft (because the old one was down so, free labor) and the electric locking motor that sits on top of it. Not taking any chances...

Old 09-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I'm not having the issue, but my T-case fluid is not 45k miles old. Just seems like a good preventative action.

As for the diffs, I started a new thing (after going through a rear diff in ~ 18k miles) whereby I've been changing the rear diff fluid every 1000-1500 miles and inspecting the fluid and plug until both looked clear and sans shavings, respectively. I also changed the front diff fluid early to examine. At this point both have gotten passing grades and will go to a 15k mile interval.

I also had changed my rear drive shaft (because the old one was down so, free labor) and the electric locking motor that sits on top of it. Not taking any chances...
Seems like cheap insurance. Several here have recommended diff fluid changes at 15K. Seems easy like every other oil change would be a good approach.

Are you guys using Land Rover fluid? Royal Purple? After my mechanic telling the wrong stuff was in my t-case I'd prefer to be careful about what I put in there. Although I suspect the diffs aren't too picky about what brand lube they get.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy

I just use the LR stuff.