LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor Delete?

A week or so ago, my LR3 suspension air compressor started making a weird whine. This happened when parked, car off. It actually took a while to isolate the noise to be coming from the compressor. Sounds like an air leak, at the compressor itself. After a few days, the battery was also dead (never heard the compressor running - but assume it was doing so intermittently to compensate for the air leak, killing the battery).

Is there a known problem that matches these symtoms? With a cheap fix perhaps?

Contemplating just deleting the compressor, and running air lines from the bags to schrader valves mounted to the frame. Would adjust my suspension with a bicycle pump. Anybody done this with an LR3? I had an old pro-street pickup with air bag suspension that I set up this way; worked just fine.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default best you have a good bicycle pump

The link below has a number of gallery's within. There are three gallery's with files related to the air system. I think you might want to get a bit of an understanding of the system before you try anything.

One of the gallery's contains a number of files related to what you wish to do - air lines to each spring. There is also a gallery that shows how to insert one Schrarder valve in the air tank and achieve much the same goal.

The air tank runs about 200 psig and each air spring, about 150 psig max so it will be a pretty good bicycle pump that you would need.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Home > Member Galleries > bbyer

Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Seems like doing something like this would make it impossible to use the cross-link valves appropriately. The only thing that seems reasonable to adjust with a bicycle pump would be the height.

Ryan, do you off-road? If not, maybe I'd suggest the coiler conversion. This would be the first time I've ever suggested it, because I think it's a defiling of the LR3, but no more so than what you suggest.

Generally the compressors are pretty reliable; my suggestion (even though you didn't ask) would be to just get the new AMK compressor, maintain it...and live happily ever after without dicking around with Schrader valves and bicyble pumps.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys.

I've been doing a little more research - now understand that just running an air-line to each bag is going to be problematic (confusing the interwoven systems like stability control, descent mode, etc.).

I am seriously considering a coil conversion. The car is a 2005- so is now 9 years old. I suspect this compressor failure is the first of many problems, as much of the air suspension system - bags, lines, compressor, seals - is likely at or nearing the end of the design life.

Link to the AMK compressor?

The car doesn't really see much off-road. It is my wife's daily driver.

My old pro-street truck required about 200psi in the front bags (mustang II front end supporting a 454 big-block-chevy). Yep, it took a pretty strong pump :-) At car shows I'd drop it; and never had problems pumping it back up. Interestingly, I ran the lines separately to PREVENT the two springs from interacting through the air system. But, I get that the LR3 system interaction is actually beneficial - when it's working right.

Anybody have experience with the Old Man Emu coil kits?

Thanks again-
Ryan.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I know that compressors can be an issue, knock on wood. I got a "newer" one and swapped out mine before it died. I have also renewed my air suspension, ie: rebuilt the air struts, replaced the dampers with Koni FSD, etc.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues, so I find doing a coil conversion just because you have one compressor issue might be a bit of overkill. I've got 133k on the clock. I know people have various problems like air line breaks, etc, but I suspect most times there are extenuating circumstances.

There should be plenty of used ones available, as well as the new AMK.

I find that a lot of these compressor issues are due to the fact that the air compressor filter is neglected, and plugs eventually. As a result, they overheat and burn up.

It would be worth considering compressor maintenance, and renewal kit periodically to ensure trouble free operation. Keep in mind, nothing lasts forever, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

It's more like overkill laced with an irrational motivation and lack of analysis....which is my way of saying "Don't do it, Ryan, it'd be stupid."

Get an AMK compressor ($800 maybe) and plan on spending $100 every 2-3 years on dryer replacement. Run those numbers against the $2000 you're going to spend on the coil conversion hardware and installation. Now consider the loss of performance and the yet unknown problems you'll encounter with the coil setup. None of it makes sense because, IMO, the EAS has been pretty darn reliable given its complexity.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default maintenance, kind of like an airplane

I tend to agree - getting rid of the air suspension gets rid of what makes the 3 special.

In the UK, LR does make a coiler 3 and it is called a Commercial, for a reason.

Atlantic British probably makes the best conversion in that they provide some additional electronics to fool the vehicle into thinking the air suspension is still there - that is a bit of a hint I figure.

The air system, once you understand it, is not all that complicated. It is surprisingly reliable once you get all in order. My view is my air system 9 years later is now more reliable than when it came new out of the factory.

It has taken years to get it that way; mostly by gaining an understanding of how it operates and constant maintenance - parts replacement before failure, that sort of thing - kind of as with aircraft.