LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Fan

Old 01-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Coolant Fan

I need to change the accessory drive belts. Is the fan clutch bolt a right hand or left hand thread. ( in the US, do I move the top of wrench toward the drivers side or the passenger side) ? Also what is the best source for the fan puppy wrench?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default 36 mm fan clutch wrench; reverse thread

This link is to the belts and may prove worthwhile.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Vehicle Maintenance Log for LR3/4 D3/4 or other

This link shows how to change the belts and hence remove the fan. Generally the fan removal is the fairly common Ford procedure; the problem is LR uses 3 bolts and most vehicles use 4 on the pulley, hence holding the pulley while you reverse rotate is the hard part.

How To: Change your engine belts

The fan clutch removal wrench is a 36 mm wrench which you rotate in the reverse direction to remove the fan. Reverse to me means clockwise when standing in front of the bumper looking at the windscreen.

Assenmacher Tools makes a suitable 36 mm fan clutch wrench, part number 8030. The 36 mm wrench is common on many Ford products, hence is easy to find.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts
Default bbyer

Thanks for the links. Reading different links is what led me to asking. I did find the two tools and have them ordered. Since it may need to removed more than once, the cost is worth it. I hate not having the right tool for the job anyway. I bought the primary tensioner and replaced it. I had hoped to change the belts but at least I got the tensioner on and the squeal is gone. I will get the tools, remove the fan and change the belt next weekend.

One question: how far do I need to pull out the fan hub to get the belt behind it?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Default remove the fan

It is not so much a question of how much as you just remove the fan.

With the 36 mm wrench and the tool to hold the 3 bolt pulley, the second time you do it, removing the fan will be easy. The first time for anything for me is always a challenge anyway.

Then with the fan removed, you just use your 1/2 inch breaker bar to rotate the tensioners such that there is slack re pulley changing.

Redoing the idler bearing was a good preventive measure by the way.

And yes, having the right tools makes it easy; I just justify the cost by thinking about what it would cost to pay someone to do the activity - tools are cheap.

This link may be old news for you. New part number PQR500360 belt deflection pulley.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ey-pics-60169/

By the way, if replacing belts or pulleys, count the number of grooves on what you take off and what you put on. Sometimes the parts numbers get mixed up and the groove count is not what it should be.

Counting pulley grooves applies particularly if you are replacing the alternator - you might get a 5, 6 or 7 groove pulley. If so, you just reuse the pulley from the removed alternator.

Let us know how the change out succeeded - keep us up to date.

The following users liked this post:
tetsuo69 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arg seems the link here is dead.

Bbyer: for absolute clarity your saying on the 4.4L V8 LR3 the fan is reverse threaded and you must rotate the nut clockwise direction (when looking at engine from front of vehicle) to loosen correct? Damned if I can get that nut off using a bunch of extensions and everything, what a pita.

Originally Posted by bbyer
This link is to the belts and may prove worthwhile.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Vehicle Maintenance Log for LR3/4 D3/4 or other

This link shows how to change the belts and hence remove the fan. Generally the fan removal is the fairly common Ford procedure; the problem is LR uses 3 bolts and most vehicles use 4 on the pulley, hence holding the pulley while you reverse rotate is the hard part.

How To: Change your engine belts

The fan clutch removal wrench is a 36 mm wrench which you rotate in the reverse direction to remove the fan. Reverse to me means clockwise when standing in front of the bumper looking at the windscreen.

Assenmacher Tools makes a suitable 36 mm fan clutch wrench, part number 8030. The 36 mm wrench is common on many Ford products, hence is easy to find.

Last edited by tetsuo69; 09-05-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:37 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Yes, righty loosey.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Default yes, clockwise when looking at it

Originally Posted by tetsuo69
Arg seems the link here is dead.

Bbyer: for absolute clarity your saying on the 4.4L V8 LR3 the fan is reverse threaded and you must rotate the nut clockwise direction (when looking at engine from front of vehicle) to loosen correct? Damned if I can get that nut off using a bunch of extensions and everything, what a pita.
Yes, the fan nut is reverse thread.

Others may chime in with a better suggestion, however some mechanics hit the nut with hammer and chisel - a sharp tap - it can break the hold the nut has on the threaded shaft. Another thought is to spray thread penetrate on the area for a week or so.

.. but yes, when standing in front of the grill looking at the engine, rotate the fan nut clockwise to undo.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:27 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Success, thanks for the tips guys. Lots of WD-40, several trips to get larger and more precise 'Ford Clutch Fan Removal" tools + larger adjustable wrench, and finally a lot of persuasion with a hammer.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (09-06-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
Yes, the fan nut is reverse thread.

Others may chime in with a better suggestion, however some mechanics hit the nut with hammer and chisel - a sharp tap - it can break the hold the nut has on the threaded shaft. Another thought is to spray thread penetrate on the area for a week or so.

.. but yes, when standing in front of the grill looking at the engine, rotate the fan nut clockwise to undo.
I'm trying to remove the fan on my Disco II, tried all day and no luck haha. I was watching some Atlantic British videos and he removes the fan turning left... When I turn mine to the right the pulleys and belt also turns, but when I turn left only the water pump pulley turns (slips) with the nut. Any more suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by ecsttacy
I'm trying to remove the fan on my Disco II, tried all day and no luck haha. I was watching some Atlantic British videos and he removes the fan turning left... When I turn mine to the right the pulleys and belt also turns, but when I turn left only the water pump pulley turns (slips) with the nut. Any more suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks!
you are in the LR3 section. Yours is regular thread z lefty loosey.

you need a fan clutch tool and to post in D2 section

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Fan