LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I have an 07 LR3 97k miles and I discovered some coolant dripping from the oil drip pan. No problems with engine temp. AC/heat work. There us the hint of coolant smell. Just had oil/change service 3-4 weeks ago by indie rover shop.
Any ideas?
Tomorrow I am going to buy coolant to top of resevior.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You need to be more specific on where. It could be from many things, a hose, water pump , etc. Coolant can run a distance from the source of the leak. On my brother-in-laws LR3 he had a thermostat housing leak that ran along the intake manifold and dripped from the rear pass side of the engine.

I would pressure test the coolant system to see if you can find the leak. You can also put a UV dye in the coolant that you can see with a blacklight.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Remove top black plastic cover.

With a Land Rover you look first for simple stupid stuff.

On top of the engine, there is a small plastic bleeder tee that cracks with old age. Fluid weeps out of it if you are luck or the tee just plane lets go. The Land Rover part number is LR027661

It is much the same story with the thermostat housing also hidden by the black plastic cover. It tends to just leak so that location is more likely. The part number is LR005631.

It can also be the coolant overflow tank having cracked but that is not that common.

The odds of the leak being a hose is small and it being the rad is also doubtful as the fluid source seems to be engine surface related.

Leaking water pumps can be hard to figure out as well, hence the UV dye idea has merit and is easy to pour in.

I have the UV dye in my AC system as that is even tougher to find leaks in.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-bleeder-tee-lr027661.jpg   Coolant leak-thermostat-housing-complete-lr005631.jpg   Coolant leak-d3-cooling-system-expansion-tank.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
With a Land Rover you look first for simple stupid stuff.

On top of the engine, there is a small plastic bleeder tee that cracks with old age. Fluid weeps out of it if you are luck or the tee just plane lets go. The Land Rover part number is LR027661

It is much the same story with the thermostat housing also hidden by the black plastic cover. It tends to just leak so that location is more likely. The part number is LR005631.

It can also be the coolant overflow tank having cracked but that is not that common.

The odds of the leak being a hose is small and it being the rad is also doubtful as the fluid source seems to be engine surface related.

Leaking water pumps can be hard to figure out as well, hence the UV dye idea has merit and is easy to pour in.

I have the UV dye in my AC system as that is even tougher to find leaks in.
Yep it was the bleeder T. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default The update is appreciated.

You are telling us good news - problem resolved and not too big a fuss either.

The same fatigue cracking eventually gets to the plastic thermostat housing - not as quickly as with the tee, but eventually.

As such, when you decide it is time to replace the thermostat, instead change out the complete housing. The cost of the housing is not much more than the thermostat by itself and the good thing is you get a new thermostat correctly installed as part of the assembly. The part number is LR005631.

Also take the opportunity to pour in all new coolant and ideally the correct stuff, as everything associated with the cooling system is some sort of aluminum alloy. The corrosion protection additives within the coolant fluid are what needs to be refreshed - the antifreeze function is a secondary concern.

When you do this, read up on the filling - that is the hard part, getting rid of the air bubbles, but with the tee replacement, you will have had some experience at that already.

Again, thanks for the update.