LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist find - Old Town Canoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Craigslist find - Old Town Canoe

Would like to try a little water exploration and thought a canoe would be fun. I’ve been watching Craigslist and comparing used options to new ones at the sporting goods store. I considered a kayak, but would really love to do a multi-day float and camp. Will need to venture out of Southern California to find some water.
Anyway a deal popped up while I was sitting at the Coffee Bean, the kind where the seller gets too many emails. I was the first to respond and the seller was upstanding enough to give me first crack at it, so I hopped on the freeway headed his way. Guess the canoe didn’t make the cut for the move to his new house and he was moving this weekend. For the canoe, anchor, life jackets, four oars and a small Minn Kota 27 turbo electric trolling motor with mount, he only was asking $100. This would be about $1000-1200ish new.
The canoe is a green Old Town Discovery 146 (fourteen and a half feet long) and has a pretty wide and stable profile. No deep gouges or cracks. It could use a light refurb, as the sun has faded the plastic. It needed a bolt and dowel/spacer for the rear seat. 6 bucks at OSH and 10 minutes later it is useable. While installing the dowel, I found that the caning is gone. Someone had put wood on it, which doesn’t look bad, but doesn’t seem very comfortable. Replacing the caning will be a fun and inexpensive project in itself: weaving new seats. Black 2 inch webbing is an option and would be simpler, but not as classic.
I understand that if I mount the motor, I need to register the canoe and pay the state of California for the privilege of paddling less! I might just sell the motor for a few bucks to pay for the repairs. I’m not a fisherman, so would likely never use it.

It was pretty easy to load up on my FrontRunner rack and raised the LR3’s outdoor cred!

There are lots of videos on YouTube on melting polypropylene tarp into gouges as filler and plastic bucket chunks for more serious repairs. You can even use a torch to freshen up the dull finish. I may pick up a $30 torch from Harbor Freight today. The kind you melt asphalt roofing together seems to work well. I really don’t want to paint the hull. Maybe put some new stickers on it....

If anyone has any suggestions on places to go, I’m all ears! I’ve been searching Paddling.com I just booked a 4 night stay in Lake Tahoe for the end of May. Big Bear Lake and cruising the marinas are more local options.

If anyone in the Los Angeles area would like to borrow it, shoot me a message...

Old 11-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Fortunate find!... can't believe you got all that for a -C- note. Congrats and happy paddling...

Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

That is a deal good find and enjoy