LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At a Cross Road (metaphorically, I am not broken down on the road)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts
Default At a Cross Road (metaphorically, I am not broken down on the road)

My newly purchased 2006 SE has a rumbling noise up front. It needs a new front differential period.
(I may need either a new steering rack or lower steering column as well)
I will be replacing anything that needs replacing as this is the one that I will be putting all of those Land Rover control arms I saved from the flood.

The Question is:

Should I buy $200-$350 of special tools needed to make the swap that will only encourage me to crawl under the car the next time I need to do this?
Or, should I buy the parts and pay $750- $1100 for labor to the shop and have a BBQ with friends while someone else slaves away under my Land Rover?

To be truthful, this may turn into a thread where I ask for part numbers for things I cannot locate without visiting the local dealer.
We shall see..... either way, wish me luck.

Jeff

Old 12-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

If it's me I'm doing the latter....but that's because I'm good at BBQ'ing and bad at turning wrenches, and I know this.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

It's most likely the lower steering shaft. They should be considered a maintenance item. I need to do the 07 now. It is a super easy job.

What special tools are needed to R&R the front diff? I will tell you getting the driver's side CV shaft out of the differential is a bloody nightmare. Passenger side I have been told is not so bad.

For me I try to do everything myself, as I am cheap and hate paying others to do stuff I can do. I would not rebuild the diff myself as I suck at that part.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

For the diff rebuild part:

there is is a whole magic dark art luck thing with setting the backlash, preload, etc.

after many rebuilds, some unsuccessful, I now mark the pinion position in relation to the flange before disassembly and set it back to the exact same position. As long as all the shims are placed in their original position, this works for me every time.

This only applies if using the same ring and pinion.

with all that said, if I were you I would fire up the bbq.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:03 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I'm nearing the end of a not so fun job myself, I will say have someone else do it.

After not having a project for awhile you start to think it's a good idea to do it yourself, but once your in to it you ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?"

If I debate too long if I should or shouldn't, then I probably shouldn't. But, to be honest, this sound logic will probably not stop me next time.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Winching
Default I think I was mis-underquoted

Originally Posted by abran
For the diff rebuild part:

there is is a whole magic dark art luck thing with setting the backlash, preload, etc.

after many rebuilds, some unsuccessful, I now mark the pinion position in relation to the flange before disassembly and set it back to the exact same position. As long as all the shims are placed in their original position, this works for me every time.

This only applies if using the same ring and pinion.

with all that said, if I were you I would fire up the bbq.

Abran,

I will not rebuild it, I will remove a big hunk of metal from under the car and replace it with another big hunk of metal that was rebuilt/ refurbished from a reputable company through one of the trusted retailers

As for special tools; I have never removed one of these, but it seems straight forward, so the unknowns are the retainer ring when removing the half shaft (I guess it is like all the other axle retainers) and the tool to remove and replace the seals for the half shafts. (which says it needs a slide hammer) I may wait until it is out and see if it will come out like any other axle seal (pry i out with a flat head screw driver) Other than that I need to find out if the new bug hunk of metal will have the rear mounting bushing installed or if the others need replaced as that could require a new tool.

After the first of the year I will start collecting parts, such as seals, new gasket material, new bolts where it calls for them to be replaced etc. etc. and decide who I will get the big hunk of metal from. Once it is up in the air in my garage and all four wheels are off the ground, all of the control arms are coming off and being replaced with new ones, the hubs are getting new bearings, and sway bars are getting new bushings. I will fix the steering issue and complete a very through preventative maintenance inspection at that time and either fix or make a schedule to fix anything I find that I don't like.

I bought this 2006 SE at a good price with 105,000 on it and it pulls strong and has decent shifting, and I am not afraid to put a few dollars into it in an effort to make it last another 100,000 miles when following the factory service schedule. (with modifications for engine, diff and transfer case fluids and PVC intervals being much more often than recommended)

AND as for the BBQ, here in Texas we only celebrate 7 holidays with grilled meat, today we will celebrate Friday, tomorrow we will celebrate Saturday, and then ..... well you get the idea

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 12-21-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...I should move to Texas.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my rear rebuilt diff from Motorcars LTD. They were a good price and good to deal with. I've had no problems. I'm over a year and probably 10k so far. Otherwise, look for a reputable place near you to rebuild yours. I couldn't find one, but depends on where you are.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Rebuilt diff will come with new axle shaft seals.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Winching
Default Project on HOLD

Well it seems I need to rearrange my projects a little. I am in no position to take on the debit of a front diff until my employer decides to fund its operation for the next year. And if the news is any indicator, it may be several weeks to a month.

That being said, I already have all the parts and equipment to move the ham radio from the 2007 SE (which I will be selling to my son) into the new to me 2006 SE.

Looks like the Rover will be up in the air for weeks to come because after the ham radio install, I may as well pull all 8 control arms and be ready to install the fronts after the diff and steering are fixed.

Only time will tell what order I do the work, but when I start back/finish the diff I will report back.

Jeff

Quick Reply: At a Cross Road (metaphorically, I am not broken down on the road)