LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Not Permitted

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Not Permitted

I've got a 2006 LR3 that i've had for about 10,000km's, it currently has 77,000km's on it. I occassionally get a "Cruise Control Not Permitted" error message and am unable to use the cruise. To remedy, i've had to turn off the ignition and restart and then the error message goes away. This has been happening off and on. I may have cruise for a week or two with no issues then it pops up again. The last time i couldn't use it one day on a 200km trip. The next day it was available for the trip back home but then turned off about 190k into the 200k trip and was unavailable again.

Very annoying....I've never experienced cruise control issues with any other vehicle worth a fraction of the price of this vehicle!

Has anyone else experienced this and have any solutions?

Thanks!!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It is possible a bad relay, or possibly clock spring/rotary coupler may need replacing. Does the gear indicator work correctly when the fault is on?

That's a starting point.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar issue.
I noticed today that when my 2005 LR3 was in park, both my P and R console gear indicator lights are illuminated. When I transition to Drive, the R still seems to want to stay on.
I pulled the codes, and there was a stored fault about the cruise control. I erased the fault, but the gear indicator still acted the same.
This is strange, as my gear indicator on the instrument cluster reads correctly.
After reading this thread, my thoughts are that my gear indicator issue created the fault code for my cruise control.
Anyone else had a problem with this? Any fixes?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default brake light switch probably

The odds are the "Cruise Control" message results from a failing secondary set of contacts within the brake light switch.

You can self install a new brake light switch per the link below.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement

Old 12-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bbyer
The odds are the "Cruise Control" message results from a failing secondary set of contacts within the brake light switch.

You can self install a new brake light switch per the link below.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement

Thank you for this. This totally makes sense. I will pull out the switch today and inspect. I will try to clean it up first and re-install and see if that clears up my gear shift illumination issue, as well as pulling the codes again.

I will post all findings and results.

Thanks again from Victoria, BC.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Drifting

OK, pulled out the switch, opened it up, and it looked just like the pictures. Definite arcing going on. I cleaned all contact with sensor cleaner, dried it out, and re-installed. All good so far. Will post updates if they occur.
Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Drifting

UPDATE:

Well, so far no further Cruise control fault codes, but the P and R gear illumination issue continues.
I am starting to beleive that whatever type of wiring harness conects the gear selector lights to the tranny is the culprit. Maybe dirty, maybe the sender unit. This doesn't effect the gears themselves in any way, just the illumination of the gear positions by the gear lever. Just annoying.
Anybody have a thought on this?
Thanks,

Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Default perhaps replace the brake light switch this time

I note that back in December you removed and cleaned up the brake light switch contacts, (both sets I presume), and reinstalled same. It sounds like all was good right after doing so.

Now, three weeks later, the lights problem has reappeared; probably the Cruise Control message is next.

If I have the above correct, then replace the switch with a new one. The arcing of the brake light contacts will have continued and the black dust will have continued to deposit itself on the "computer" set of contacts.

The computer set of contacts carries virtually no current and are NC, (Normally Closed), hence a bit of dust on the contacts is a constant problem and no doubt generating spurious signals and hence misleading the computers. Replacing the brake light switch is on a par with installing a new oil filter, but more like every 50,000 miles as I think the new replacement switch is the same design as the original.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Drifting

I have paid a lot more attention to this issue lately, and have figured out that it doesn't happen all the time.
But first of all, I did replace the brake light switch. Since then I have been watching the illuminated gear indicator by the shifter, and it acts normal first thing in the morning (cold). But after a little while of driving, when shifting from D to P, or R to P, the R and P stay illuminated. And sometimes, again after the car is warm, shifting from R to Drive, the R and D will stay on for a little while, but eventually the R will go out while driving.
This behaviour got me thinking that it has to be something with the wiring (or relay, or connector) from the illuminated gear selector to wherever it goes. Make sense?
Thoughts welcomed.

Oh, and the cruise control fault has not come back at all.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Default perhaps the problem is within the selector

I am not going to be much help here but below is a link to a three page wiring diagram related to the gear selector.

It did occur to me to ask if the small D etc is showing correctly on the display under the speedometer - where the mileage read out is?

I expect it is as I presume the display information comes from the transmission module rather than the gear selector.

From the wiring diagram, I was trying to figure out if the LEDs re the gear selector illuminate as a result of signal right at the gear selector or if that instruction comes from some computer somewhere.

Page 39 of the pdf suggest that the signal comes directly from the gear selector. If so, I wonder, has someone spilled coffee into the selector - spilled fluids are a common source of gear selector problems.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...s_38_39_40.pdf

Below also suggests within the gear selector. I found the following paragraph in a LR publication - it may be good news as that again suggests fluid spillage or just wear or dirt.

Selector Position LED Display: The P, R, N, D LED display is located on the right hand side of the selector lever and the M/S (MANUAL/SPORT) +/- LED display is located on the left hand side of the selector lever. Each LED display is connected via a separate harness to the selector lever position switch. When the lever is moved to the required position, the switch contact for that position is made and the LED is illuminated.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Not Permitted