LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Not Permitted

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There were issues with the actual gear selector lever. It might be worth checking it for corrosion. The suggested fix was to replace the components.

LR012704 - Lever £2.96
WYH000040 - Nut - flanged £0.42
VYH500020 - Nut - Hex £0.42
TYG000050 - Bolt £2.02
TZT500040 - Bush £3.43
TYF000050 - Washer - spring £2.63

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
I am not going to be much help here but below is a link to a three page wiring diagram related to the gear selector.

It did occur to me to ask if the small D etc is showing correctly on the display under the speedometer - where the mileage read out is?

I expect it is as I presume the display information comes from the transmission module rather than the gear selector.

From the wiring diagram, I was trying to figure out if the LEDs re the gear selector illuminate as a result of signal right at the gear selector or if that instruction comes from some computer somewhere.

Page 39 of the pdf suggest that the signal comes directly from the gear selector. If so, I wonder, has someone spilled coffee into the selector - spilled fluids are a common source of gear selector problems.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...s_38_39_40.pdf

Below also suggests within the gear selector. I found the following paragraph in a LR publication - it may be good news as that again suggests fluid spillage or just wear or dirt.

Selector Position LED Display: The P, R, N, D LED display is located on the right hand side of the selector lever and the M/S (MANUAL/SPORT) +/- LED display is located on the left hand side of the selector lever. Each LED display is connected via a separate harness to the selector lever position switch. When the lever is moved to the required position, the switch contact for that position is made and the LED is illuminated.

Thank you for this great info. I am definitely leaning towards the dirty/spill theory. If the contacts that illuminate the selected gear are all housed right by the gear lever, this should be quite straight forward.
And Yes, the gear indicator on the cluster is correct with no strange behaviour. Again, this is isolated to the gear lever indicator only.

Now, just have to figure out how to get to the idicators. Anyone have detailed step by step instructions how to dismantle the console to get at this bugger? There are always little tricks and tabs that love to break, and I would love to avoid this if possible.

Thanks guys!!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default jpg says it all

The jpg is generally how the Brits first tackle any problem on the 3. The bad news in your case is that doing this first would also require you to have a 10 ft step ladder; hence body removal can be deferred.

The two pdf's shows a bit of how to get at the gear stick; there are better instructions out there but I could not find any for the moment - perhaps others will come across with some links.

What is not said, (well nothing is said), is that if you have to remove the gear stick ****, it is removed by just pulling upwards very firmly - so firmly that when the **** finally lets go, you will probably knock your teeth out.

I am not kidding. I guess that is why LR leaves that part out - the broken teeth I mean. In the past, you could tell a true LR Series owner by his lack of teeth - the effect of a solid front axle and leaf springs - from flying over a hump - well not the flying bit but from the landing and being thrown forward into the steering wheel; now, it is from removing the shift **** on a 3.

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control Not Permitted-d3-body-removed-up-air-9423e89a.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LR3 Floor Console Removal.pdf (208.6 KB, 378 views)
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default video instructions

this video is particularly useful

for what you need jump to time stamp 2:30

the rest is good information too

he loses a little metal clip at 4:45, this has happened to me too. you may want a flash light and magnetic pick up tool handy.

Last edited by spiderman; 01-11-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bbyer
The jpg is generally how the Brits first tackle any problem on the 3. The bad news in your case is that doing this first would also require you to have a 10 ft step ladder; hence body removal can be deferred.

The two pdf's shows a bit of how to get at the gear stick; there are better instructions out there but I could not find any for the moment - perhaps others will come across with some links.

What is not said, (well nothing is said), is that if you have to remove the gear stick ****, it is removed by just pulling upwards very firmly - so firmly that when the **** finally lets go, you will probably knock your teeth out.

I am not kidding. I guess that is why LR leaves that part out - the broken teeth I mean. In the past, you could tell a true LR Series owner by his lack of teeth - the effect of a solid front axle and leaf springs - from flying over a hump - well not the flying bit but from the landing and being thrown forward into the steering wheel; now, it is from removing the shift **** on a 3.

This is great!! Thank you for the diagrams. Along with the video, this doesn't look too bad, at least to get to the connectors and switches.

Oh, and thanks for the warning. I have experienced the teeth/broken nose/black eye issue while removing the shift *** off my BMW. I was fully prepared for it to pop, but still I managed to give my forehead a nice punch.

I will update on progress.
Thanks again,

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE=spiderman;439665]this video is particularly useful

for what you need jump to time stamp 2:30

the rest is good information too

he loses a little metal clip at 4:45, this has happened to me too. you may want a flash light and magnetic pick up tool handy.

Thanks Spiderman. This is going to help. I really appreciate the help.
Cheers,

Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Drifting
Default Well, got into it....

Pulled the console apart (exactly like it shows in the video) and managed to keep my teeth. The trick there is to definitely separate the lower trim piece from the gear ****, then pull. This reduced the amount of pulling required.
Anyway, I had access to the wiring to the led gear indicators, and main wiring coming from the gear selector unit. Pulled all connectors apart, checked for condition and cleaned them all. No obvious signs of any issues. Put it all back together and took it for a test drive. Issue still showing signs of being there. Will see how it acts tomorrow.
If the issue continues, I definitely suspect the gear selector unit connectors buried inside. Not sure if this piece is possible to be disassembled or advisable. Does anyone have an exploded view of this unit? If so, I may attempt to pull it apart.
Thanks everyone for the help so far.
Cheers,

Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Default I noticed that little ring under the ****.

That is a good video, and I also noticed that little ring under the ****. I had not noticed it before. I think removing it first is the key to keeping your teeth or forehead - not funny really.

I suppose it is possible to pull the shifter apart; the real question is whether it will go back together. You might first consider purchasing some electrical contact cleaner, (kind of like WD40), and soaking the shifter interior with that.

I would have the battery disconnected or shifter disconnected so I could cycle the lever back and forth. If you are parked on a "maybe it will roll" kind of surface, perhaps the tyres should be chocked as the 3 may not be in Park. I don't know how that Park business works, hence .....

Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by unseenone
There were issues with the actual gear selector lever. It might be worth checking it for corrosion. The suggested fix was to replace the components.

LR012704 - Lever £2.96
WYH000040 - Nut - flanged £0.42
VYH500020 - Nut - Hex £0.42
TYG000050 - Bolt £2.02
TZT500040 - Bush £3.43
TYF000050 - Washer - spring £2.63

Thanks "unseenone", do you have any diagrams showing where these parts would go? Thanks.

I think I will try the electrical cleaner method first, since this would be the easiest solution if all goes well. When I am have the cover off, I will investigate the possiblity of pulling it all apart (screws, clips, etc).

Still, if anyone has an exploded view of the gear selector unit, it would be much aprecieated! At least I could see where I should aim the cleaner.

I will update on results.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Default those parts are underneath

The parts list above refers to shift linkage parts under the 3 that rust up.

The link below shows where they are and how to replace but I think it is not what you are looking for.

I looked in what I have and cannot find anything re the shift selector internals.

I kind of think LR regards the shift selector as non repairable - that is you "just" buy a new one. If inside there were replacement parts, then there would be parts diagram somewhere.

About the only caveat I have is that I can not even find the part number for the shift selector so I am missing something.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Autobox Gear Lever pivot - How To

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Not Permitted