LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEAD! Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy DEAD! Need Help!!

I've done a lot of searching for better part of an hour and can't really find clear direction on my problem. So I'm posing to the group and ask in advance for forgiveness if this has been asked or posted already. Left my wife and daughter stranded and ruined an otherwise great Saturday evening so hoping to be the hero and get it fixed.

06 LR3 HSE V8 105K miles owned about 2 months. Was inspected by certified LR mechanic prior to purchase with no major problems. Has run flawlessly since...until today. Has shown no codes, errors, or anything abnormal. Started at home and driven about 3 miles to shopping center and parked in garage. About two hours later they come out and truck is completely dead! Dead as if there was not even a battery in it. Won't unlock so used emergency manual to get in but NOTHING comes on. Turn key on and no radio, no dash lights, no nav screen...nothing. Wired to another vehicle to attempt a jump and was able to get some electrics to come on, obviously lots of errors now showing up, but still no start. Not even a click. Left it connected little while longer and still nothing when engaging ignition. I took it out of park to N and back to P with no change. Did not do it with ignition on that I recall and have read about resetting park sensor? So locked it up and left in the garage (low ceilings so towing seems not to be an option).

I have found suggestions on low battery but this one is a 7 month old Interstate replaced by dealership. No signs of getting weak as I've had in other vehicles. See that alternator problems could lead to electric issues but no way to test that now and had no symptoms prior (unsure if it even would have). I am really at a loss and could use some advice on what to check/troubleshoot next. Otherwise I'm pushing it out of garage to street in order to get on flatbed.

Thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions/advice.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Put a volt meter on the battery, have a friend hit the key while you watch. If the battery has a internal short it will pancake when the load is applied. It can happen to any battery regardless of age.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Edit^ What he said!

or buy a new battery from a place that allows you to return it. Install the battery and see what happens. Something could have been left on that drained the battery completely.

Its a start. Could be a bad ground cable.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Thank you both! Have my meter in hand and will be testing that first thing in the morning. Will be chilly tonight here in Chicago so should I expect a lower than normal reading? Will also test while someone engages start to test for internal short. She normally stays inside enclosed garage so remains a bit warmer than outside temp.

@Abran - any way to test ground cable. I came across another post claiming it can corrode quickly. Visually, no sign of corrosion or abnormalities.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Just YouTube search for "test ground". You will find many videos showing how to test.

I have seen the main cable on the battery get corroded at the grounding point, behind the fuse box.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Put a volt meter on the battery, have a friend hit the key while you watch. If the battery has a internal short it will pancake when the load is applied. It can happen to any battery regardless of age.
Ditto what he said. A shorted battery will also prevent you from jump starting the vehicle.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Tested battery in the truck... 0.0. Took it out and get about 5.8. Thinking it's done so headed to store for warranty exchange. Only 3 months old. Concerned about what caused it...have never experienced a batter go like that.

One thing I did notice was a connector dangling between the batter and firewall when I lifted it out. Took a couple of pics. Just has a red and green wire running to it. Can't see anything like it that it should be plugged into. Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Winching

That connector isn't used. When these vehicles are shipped from overseas, they are fitted with a "Transit Relay" on one of the battery posts. Once arriving at the dealer, the relays are removed and that "blanking plug" is installed. It used to be taped to the battery cable. Just tuck it out of the way.

Last edited by LR Techniker; 01-29-2017 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChicagoAv8tor (02-04-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Battery fixed the problem but I fear that is temporary. New battery installed and all works as normal. However, I put the meter to it while running and only getting about 12.5. Shouldn't it be closer to 14? Afraid it could be something else that will lead to a repeat?

I also noticed a significant "whining" or "buzzing" sound that changes pitch with engine RPM. I've read some posts describing similar symptoms when belt pulleys are going bad. Not sure if that could cause problem with charging or could that be coming from alternator if going bad? Just got the truck back home and haven't had a chance to do further investigation and attempt to narrow down the source of the noise.

Further complicating matters I pulled into the garage at home, shut it off, closed the garage door, and got out. As I was walki g toward the door to head inside and keep up the research, I noticed a burning smell. I leaned near the from of hood and it was definitely coming from the engine compartment. Opened the hood and took a quick peak...nothing obvious but did t have time to look in detail. Will get a light and inspect soon.

Last edited by ChicagoAv8tor; 01-29-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Winching

Your alternator is likely dead. Not sure if the alternator is shorted causing the burning smell and killing the battery when the car is off, but you should be 13.0+ Volts when running. I would disconnect the battery overnight just as a precaution.

The following users liked this post:
ChicagoAv8tor (02-04-2017)

Quick Reply: DEAD! Need Help!!