LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel!!!!!!!?????!!??!!??!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel!!!!!!!?????!!??!!??!

is there any way to convert the lr3 to diesel in the US!? this website seems to do some diesel conversion http://landroverimport.com/ but i dont think it deals with the new discovery 3 engines to lr3's, has anyone tried a conversion is the US!? is it even legal!?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Not legally or financially.
First there is the issues of ECU's the what to put in, none of which would give you the power you are probably looking for, there are no conversion plates made to mate up another engine to your tranny.
Then there is the cost, which would be higher then the actual valve of your truck.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If the area you live in has emissions checks, it's unlikely you could ever get away with it.
If not, then the easiest process would be to buy in the UK a TDV6S and appropriate transmission, along with the other needed bits, and have them shipped to you. (warning: they might very well be impounded at POE since that engine wasn't ever sold in the US)
Then have at it.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

try the entire underside of the vehicle. the fuel tank, the lines, the wiring looms.

dude forget it.

and if you got one trace of gasoline in the system and it gets to the pump then you are dead. Gas in the new diesels live the TDV6 destroys the motor. The fuel pump runs the timing and once it stops the valves are busted and it takes the heads outs and the pistons.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to central america buy one and drive it home.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh..... -_- this makes me soo mad!!!! And sad all at the same time... Isn't it true that the tvd6 gets like 33 mpg or something??? And ya I thought it would b crazy expencive yo convert and would b basically impossible.... And the centural America idea sounds great! Other then the fact that idk how safe it woul b to b driving a shiny new discovery4 and not get kidnapped or something and I wonder if the border police ppl would let a vehical like that cross..... And if I was able to get it in wouldn't I b screwed if I was caught speeding or parking ticket? And I live in wi and here they really don't check emissions, I mean idk if they do or not, I mean its not like they come knocking at my house and ask if my cars r efficent...... I really wish they would bring their diesal engines to thE states I'm sure that alot more ppl would buy more rovers then!! I mean I would get the lr4 in a heart beat if they had diesal here! I always complain on the landrover surveys about how they should bring the tvd6 here!!!!

Wow that was a long message.....

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would gas make problems in diesel cars? People have been here mixing regular gas (95o) with diesel in winter for ages? Sure, it is low percentage, but more than "trace". Is it something i am missing?
And yep, my landy drives 100km on 10l in city drive and 100km on 9l on highway when going about 120km/h

Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 AM
TReK

the pumps are lubricated by the diesel. Gas dries them out and destroys the system. if you fill up with gas then you have to change the lines and the tank. trust me on those tanks you aint getting all the gas out.

there is a bulletin and LR specifically states they will not cover such stupidity.

oh and seen a guy blow his head from crappy diesel left in the tank for a year as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok than it is probably because it is not mixed as when added into the tank.
still wondering about that gas craze in the US. Diesel makes much more sense in heavy cars and trucks. Drove V6 X3 what is small against Landy and got 1,5 times worse consumption than Landy had and not really better performance. Low power on low RPM also seems rather contraproductive.
Do even gas Landys have anti-stall?

Last edited by sn1987; 01-26-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:11 AM
TReK

its from the GM diesel cars from the early eighties. Ruined diesels forever.

Quick Reply: Diesel!!!!!!!?????!!??!!??!